Or: Yet Another Compiler Release! Will Coleda put in the work to make another Rakudo Compiler release see the light of day: 2016.02. Check out the announcement. In short: fixes quite some errors, leaks less, does some things faster (up to 160x) with less memory (up to 10% less), and adds a few minor features. One can expect a new Rakudo Star release to become available shortly as well.
Perl 6 Einführung
Videos from FOSDEM 2016
It appears that some videos from the Perl DevRoom at FOSDEM 2016 are now available. Now we only need to find the right decoder to play them :-(. Word has it, that re-encoding is in the works.
Calls for Presentations
Some places you might want to give a Perl 6 presentation:
Not too many this week.
- From Regular Expressions To Grammars Pt 3 by Jeff Goff
So I went back and found a few that somehow did not get mentioned before. Sorry for the delay in mentioning!
- Perl: Names, Logos and Who Gets To Decide by Sue Spence
- Anonymous State Variables And How They Work by Rob Hoelz
Memorables From The Backlog
I combed the backlog of the second half of January, and this is the result:
- Designing A Language In 10 Days
- Intro To Sixy Perl
- How To Shorten An Array
- Come to Bed!
- Banning Mr. Nutter For Repeated Harassment
- Proof of concept OpenGL bindings looking for further development
- Perl 6 RabbitMQ Tutorial Examples
- Mandelbrot Fractal speed in retrospect
- Documentation of all ecosystem modules
- On passwords
- War On Terror
- Explicitly named return values
- 6 treasures in all the languages spoken in the natural or artificially created.
- I Hate The Lord Of The Rings
- Measuring and improving run-time or compile-time performance
- The Perl 6 Community on Slack
- Perl 6 is so good, you know it without even knowing you know it.
I’ll try to catch up completely on the next Perl 6 Weekly.
More than one a day again!
- NativeHelpers::Blob by Salvador Ortiz
- Test::Lab by Jake Russo
- Lingua::EN::Stem::Porter by John Spurr
- Audio::Playlist::JSPF by Jonathan Stowe
- RPi::Device::PiFace by Gary Ashton-Jones
- Automata::Cellular by David Brunton
- RPI::Wiring::Pi by Aurelio Sanabria
- Algorithm::ZobristHashing by okaoka
- PackUnpack by Elizabeth Mattijsen
Yet again. Hope the read has been enjoyable. Catch you all next week!