Zoffix Znet has published the IO action plan as part of the IO grant work. Please read it and if you have any comments, let Zoffix know! Alternately / Additionally, you might want to check out the February Grant Report. In the past week, several IO related parts of Rakudo have already become significantly faster!
Hyper / Race Semantics
Jonathan Worthington thought a lot on the issues surrounding
race and produced a plan, inviting comments. Please have a look at it and come up with a better name for
Fernando Correa Welcome!
Fernando Correa has joined the ranks of the Rakudo Perl 6 Core Developers! As SmokeMachine he already has quite a few merged Pull Requests under his belt. We’re all looking forward to seeing more of his excellent work. A hearty welcome on behalf of everybody interested in Rakudo Perl 6!
Other Core Developments
- Samantha McVey increased the speed of concatenating strings on MoarVM up to 30%, while fixing some issues with concatenating strings with control characters at either end.
- Stefan Seifert improved a confusing error message when trying to load a non-existing module that matches a distribution name.
- Jonathan Worthington fixed a race condition issue with generating a unique ID for
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made
.invertabout 10x faster.
- Zoffix Znet made many of the path manipulation methods (such as
IO::Spec::Unix.catpath) up to an order of magnitude faster.
- Jonathan Stowe fixed an issue with the introspection of attributes of
Associatives with explicitly typed keys.
- And as usual, many other smaller improvements and bugfixes.
- Stacked Plots with Matplotlib by Moritz Lenz.
- TPF Committee Updates by Jim Brandt.
- Perl is an Island by BuiltInPerl (Reddit comments).
- Something new Every Day by morandimus (Reddit comments).
- Close Enough by brian d foy.
- Using matplotlib in Perl 6 (part 6) by 0racle.
- Getting started with Rakudo Perl 6 in a Docker container by Gábor Szabó (Reddit comments).
- Create a module project, git and github it in 12 seconds by Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer.
- Perl related crowdfunding on Kickstarter and ? by Gábor Szabó (Reddit comments).
Meanwhile on Twitter
- How to easily stuff unshaped list of stuff into a shaped Array by Zoffix Znet.
- 2017.03 Linux packages available by Zoffix Znet.
- Perl Maven Website running on updated rakudo by Gábor Szabó.
- My very slight Perl 6 gitignore template PR was merged by brian d foy.
- Perl 6! by Vicky Brasseur.
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
- How can I test that an imported Perl 6 routine exists? by brian d foy.
- Is there a way to do editable prompt input? by lisprogtor.
Only one addition this week…
- Proc::Async::Timeout by Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer.
Posted a little later than usual, all because yours truly was pleasantly detained at a concert in Brussels. Please check in again next week for more Perl 6 news!