Patrick Spek has written a nice blog post about some Hackerrank solutions for Python 3 and Perl 6. Which created quite a few comments on /r/python, /r/programming and /r/perl6. For some people it provided a nice way to show off their versions of the code in question!
A new Oddmuse?
Thoughts on sigils?
An interesting thread caused by the question: What are your thoughts on sigils? on Reddit. A good read, with even some APL mixed in.
Signatures in Perl 6
The 128-Language Quine Relay
- Ticket status of last week.
- Ben Davies fixed a recent regression in
- Paweł Murias fixed an optimizer issue related to
+=. He also added a
- Stefan Seifert optimized booleanification at the
NQPlevel, by a
nqp::hllboolop that replaces the
- Zoffix Znet continued his preparatory work on the
6.drelease of Perl 6, specifically in the area of cleaning up the test-suite (aka roast).
- Jeremy Studer provided a bunch more JIT templates.
- Tom Browder (partially) implemented the ‘#’ alias for
- Elizabeth Mattijsen improved the speed of the various
.wordsmethods. She also introduced a
PredictiveIteratorrole for those
Iterators that can predict the number of values that they will produce, without actually having to produce them. She also generalized the
use ismsfeature to also include
use isms 'C++'.
- Samantha McVey implemented reading and writing files encoded in
utf16(machine order only). She’s also working on supporting
utf16be, and would like to have feedback on how to handle
BOMs (aka ByteOrderMarkers). Comments welcome!
- Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev worked on improving the toaster to make things faster and more useful (failing modules are now bisected automatically). Still a work in progress. In the process Whateverable got a noticeable refactor to make parts of it reusable.
- And many other smaller fixes, improvements and speedups.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- If your only tool is a hammer… by Patrick Dreschler.
- Could be simplified by Moritz Lenz.
- Directly link to the docs by Timo Paulssen.
- Rule 34 by David Cantrell.
- Just like ordinary human beings by Zoffix Znet.
- Learning what not to do! by Joelle Maslak.
- También! by JJ Merelo.
- All the caveats by Zoffix Znet.
- 3D Printed Camelia by Zoffix Znet.
- 3D de-and re-construction by Flickrock.
- Make Perl 6 More Awesome? by Zoffix Znet.
- Work with an awesome team! by JJ Merelo.
- Quite Pretty by Timo Paulssen.
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
- How can I convert data structure to JSON? by Plaute.
- What is the equivalent of
@INC, please? by p6steve.
- How to call Perl 6 from Java? by Steffen Winkler.
- How to use a constant value as a hash key by Simon Proctor.
- How to split a string based on comma, but not based on comma in double quote by chenyf.
Meanwhile on FaceBook
- Damian in Frankfurt by Wendy van Dijk.
- Full House in Erlangen by Steffen Winkler.
- A Java developer asks me… by Steffen Winkler.
- Solutions in both Python 3 and Perl 6 by Wendy van Dijk.
- Pictures of Perl swag by Wendy van Dijk.
- 3D Camelia? by Wendy van Dijk.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Multibyte string in Windows command line by Wolfgang.
.kv? by Todd Chester.
.new? by Todd Chester.
- I need
-Mhelp by Todd Chester.
- Need Perl 5 / Perl 6
::help by Todd Chester.
- Ping Larry and Friends: Need
NativeCallhelp by ToddAndMargo.
- Tip: that annoying character at the end by ToddAndMargo.
multi methodby ToddAndMargo.
- Can methods have multiple inputs? by ToddAndMargo.
- I need hash syntax help by ToddAndMargo.
- Need help with a variable inside a regex by ToddAndMargo.
- What is the official name of regex switches? by ToddAndMargo.
- Need regex help by ToddAndMargo.
- Escape codes by ToddAndMargo.
- Is this a bug? by Fernando Santagata.
- Information about Perl 6 internals by Fernando Santagata.
- Metamorphosis or alchemy? by ToddAndMargo.
Perl in comments
- My thoughts by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- A real concurrency-safe language by Reini Urban.
- Hit by optional white space by 0rac1e.
- Less disruptive by unkz.
- Almost trivial by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Would like a word by MDA1912.
- Perl 6? by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Do What I Mean by Ralph Mellor.
- Old benchmarks by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Perl 6 Modules
- Router::Right by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Reaper::Control by Sam Gillespie.
- Whateverable by Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev.
- Array::Agnostic, Array::Sparse by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- PDF::Font::Loader by David Warring.
- IRC::Client::Plugin::UrlTitle by Patrick Spek.
- Tuple, P5tie by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- App::FindSource, GetOpt::Advance by araraloren.
- Image::Libexif by Fernando Santagata.
- Sparrowdo::Cordova::OSx::Build by Alexey Melezhik.
Even though this week was a day shorter (on account of last week’s Perl 6 Weekly being a day late), there was plenty to mention and research. As you may have noticed. See you again next week!