For Jonathan Stowe it is already spring. In a spring cleanup, he updated so many modules to CPAN that the numbers are simply staggering. Thanks, Jonathan, for all these goodies: XDG::BaseDirectory, Igo, AccessorFacade, Audio::PortMIDI, App::ModuleSnap, Attribute::Lazy, Acme::Insult::Lala, Audio::Silan, Audio::Convert::Samplerate, Linux::Fuser, Linux::Cpuinfo, Audio::Encode::LameMP3, Audio::Fingerprint::Chromaprint, CheckSocket, Log::Syslog::Native, Crypt::Libcrypt and Util::Bitfield. It’s good to see all of these modules receive the love they deserve!
Grant Extension Request
Jonathan Worthington has requested an extension to his Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering grant. Please feel free to leave your comments with this request, unless you’re already done that, of course.
Bart Wiegmans looked back on the past year, and looks forward in his blog post titled “New years post“.
Additional getting things done
Alexey Melezhik added examples of (non-)exported functions and how to make replacements in strings to his Getting Things Done tutorial.
bobthecimmerian started a discussion on Reddit about Perl 6 cheerleading. I think everybody agrees the potential is there!
A different look
Iterating past the finish
Decompressing Zelda 3 GFX
Sylvain Colinet describes how he used Perl 6
grammars and actions as a decompression algorithm. Definitely one of the more interesting uses of grammars yours truly has seen so far.
- Ticket status of last week.
- Apart from working on the next big iteration of performance enhancements, Jonathan Worthington also made it possible to define your own
CONTROLtype exceptions. He also reduced the overhead of each
NativeCall(by about 10%) and supplied some patches for
DBIish, making some operations about 10x as fast.
- Paweł Murias implemented native support for
localtime()on all backends.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen added the necessary glue code to make the
Signaturetypes first class citizens and fixed some HLL meta-programming issues caused by lack of decontainerization. She also made
SetHashparameterizable, so you can limit the types of values acceptable to the
- Daniel Green fixed a runaway memory leak that occurred when a return signature of a
Callablewas repeatedly called in a tight loop.
- Nick Logan fixed some path issues with
- And many other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
sayand escape characters by JJ Merelo.
- Class method name with
^doesn’t get invoked properly by Patrick Spek.
- Unable to write a
grammarfor parsing lines with special characters by RavBell.
- Is there a way to leave pointy block before its end? by Pawel Pabian bbkr.
- Can modules be hotpatched? by Ben Davies.
- Defining own
CONTROLexception by Vadim Belman.
- Can roles access included role attributes? by Curt Tilmes.
- How does one set the default parameterization of a class? by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Thank you by Jason Doege.
- Lead the Pugs project by Ada Dev Academy.
- Too long by Bert “xistence” Regeer.
- Thank you by Darren Duncan.
- Savior by Brandon Schneider.
- Update? by Joe Johnston.
- GPW presentation by German Perl Workshop.
- Two time winnner by Thomas Kahle.
- Historical almost by Ralph Mellor.
- Exercism members by Daniel Mita.
- Lambda’s? by Simon Proctor.
- Something wrong by くりんぺっと.
- Au revoir by Mongueurs de Perl.
- There for you by JJ Merelo.
- The best by Stéphane Payrard.
- Bernalang compiler by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Reading the tutorial by たたも.
- Two versions by JJ Merelo.
- Try grammars! by mempko.
- Write this down by friendly corvax.
- Full toolset and web app by Extirpator.
- Unconfigured peers! by Joelle Maslak.
- Number in name by Ralph Mellor.
- One of three by Ralph Mellor.
- Reversing the flag by Ralph Mellor.
- Interesting times by Carl Mäsak.
- A different language by 相良☆無意味.
- Something awesome by かっこ.
- Animals by Akinori Ito.
- First module by Jonathan Stowe.
- Unusually good job by firebreathingduck.
- No work stress by hythm.
- It’s by へっくす？.
- Felt nice by kamimura.
- Unreal by Danny McClanahan.
- 2019 Roadmap by The Perl Shop.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Sad news by Bruce Gray.
- How do I trap a crash? by ToddAndMargo.
- I need hash inside a hash help by ToddAndMargo.
- Subnet calculator by ToddAndMargo.
- I need hash string help by ToddAndMargo.
- POD: linking to a module by Vadim Belman.
- I need
m/help by ToddAndMargo.
Perl 6 in comments
- 100x slower by Reini Urban.
- Not sure if cleverly is a benefit by thekingofh.
- Bucking conventions? by Ralph Mellor.
- About 6model by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 modules
- Reaper::Control by Sam Gillespie.
- OO::Plugin by Vadim Belman.
- Bits by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Hastebin by Ben Davies.
- Tomtit by Alexey Melezhik.
- HTTP::Supply, HTTP::Headers, Path::Router by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- File::Metadata::Libextractor by Fernando Santagata.
- Net::BGP by Joelle Maslak.
- Uzu by Sam Morrison.
- Object::Delayed by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- PDF::Class by David Warring.
- Inline::Perl5 by Stefan Seifert.
- BSON by Marcel Timmerman.
- XDG::BaseDirectory, Igo, AccessorFacade, Audio::PortMIDI, App::ModuleSnap, Attribute::Lazy, Acme::Insult::Lala, Audio::Silan, Audio::Convert::Samplerate, Linux::Fuser, Linux::Cpuinfo, Audio::Encode::LameMP3, Audio::Fingerprint::Chromaprint, CheckSocket, Log::Syslog::Native, Crypt::Libcrypt and Util::Bitfield by Jonathan Stowe.
A relative quiet week, also on account of last week’s Perl 6 Weekly being late, and this one being early. See you next week for your regular dose of Perl 6 news!