Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev, the release manager of Perl 6, decided that it didn’t make any sense to create a 2019.01 release of Rakudo Perl 6, as there were still a few blockers that probably still needs some days of quality attention. So the next release (2019.02) will tentatively be on the 16th of February. Apologies to all who expected to get their hands on a stable Rakudo Compiler release earlier.
This Saturday (anywhere in the world) will see yet another Squashathon, this time focused on fixing problems with modules in the ecosystem. As usual, the winner will win a nice plushy Camelia! So please join in, all the little bits help, cause we’ll all be winning from your participation.
A new tool for language compilers
Andrew Shitov gave a presentation at FOSDEM about how you can use Perl 6 as a tool for writing compilers (video on Youtube, comments on Reddit, Facebook). Really cool to see how little you need to do in Perl 6 to create a barebones compiler / executor.
The future of Saint Larry’s Language
Dates of the Swiss Perl Workshop
Lee Johnson tells us there is going to be a Swiss Perl Workshop in 2019, coming back to the nice town of Olten. But the dates are not set yet. In fact, there are 3 possible dates. And he would like you to take a poll so a decision can be made in early March.
Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer on a roll
The past week (or so) did not see one, but two blog posts by Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer:
As usual, recommended reading!
24 uses of Perl 6
Why It’s Hard To Hire A Perl Developer
Be the first
Dmitri would like to see Perl to be one of the first to support
HTTP/3. I guess that if it would be Perl 6, then that would also be good.
SparrowHub Perl 6 only moving forward
A new release manager
Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev tells us that due to personal circumstances beyond his control, it will become very hard for him to perform any release manager duties. So a new release manager will be needed in the foreseeable future. If you have time and passion for Perl 6, please let us know on IRC #perl6 (on freenode).
Questions about Perl 6
- String Concatenation Hangs by con.
- How to prevent the perl compiler from changing the name of dynamic link library by lovetomato.
- Simplify the invocation of a common method by lovetomato.
- When should I use roles instead of classes? by ogniloud.
- Equivalent of
use Storableby con.
- Last element of a block thrown in sink context by JJ Merelo.
Zop throws a
The iterator of this Seq is already in use/consumed by another Seqby JJ Merelo.
Mixsyntax for Boolean elements by JJ Merelo.
- Cannot import module using
- Dealing with invalid filehandles (and maybe other invalid objects too) by JJ Merelo.
- It is possible to use a grammar on raster data? (Use Case : Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF Validation) by notagoodidea.
- Get a symbol’s value by its name in a sub by lovetomato.
- Defined vs. exists with hash keys by con.
- Memory leak in concurrent program, or just the way it is? by JJ Merelo.
- Cannot unbox 65536 bit wide bigint into native integer by Sno.
- How to mitigate a bug in Rakudo with
NativeCall? by Kaiepi.
- How to load Perl 5’s
Data::Printer? by con.
Linenoiseon CentOS: cannot find library “
luv” by con.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Meanwhile on Twitter
- A treasure to get used to by Alexander Kiryuhin.
- Other ways to optimize by Alexander Kiryuhin.
- More options bad? by Leon Timmermans.
- The only programming languages by Ralph Mellor.
- Use most Perl 5 modules by Ralph Mellor.
- Where to start? by 🔥那由多 🔥.
- Acquisition in Perl 6 by ryn1x.
- Could be learning Perl 6 by aoeupl phe.
- No normal webframeworks? by Neuromantic-JS.
- Nice to see LZW by Extirpator.
Inline::Pythonmoved? by 雅なラクダ.
- Not so with Perl 6 by Karl D. Asmussen.
- Prize arrived! by olive garden speedrun champion 2019.
- What is named and what is not by Timo Paulssen.
- Not even by Dave Anderson.
- Not Perl by Fred Moyer.
- Unreal grammars by default mode natework.
Inline::Gobarebones by Brad Gilbert.
- More gradual typing by JJ Merelo.
- Can not get it by 響音カゲ@にゃん.
- Grammars might have done well by Daniel Rosenwasser.
- Amazing transpilation by mattn.
- It became easy by kamimura.
- Seems to be different by お試し君.
- A second hand Cortina by Simon Proctor.
- Something irreplaceable by にゃーん.
- Since Christmas by しんば.
- Two by Patrick Walton.
- Lovely comments by JJ Merelo.
- Nothing by とむろ.
- BGP linter by Joelle Maslak.
- Right by your side by JJ Merelo.
- Towards 1K by JJ Merelo.
- Soon by Filipe Cifali.
- Builtin parallelization by Humberto Massa.
- Raster Data? by Ed_0110100001101001 💡 ⚙️ 🛠 ☕️.
- Why as Perl 5 by Kaoru NAGASHIMA.
Muas a type? by sholto maud.
- Not skipping again by JJ Merelo.
- More exciting by Marek 🇫🇮 🎃 🇪🇺.
- See you next year! by Patrick Spek.
- Not a trainwreck? by firebreathingduck.
- Seems to be old by %20｜1751 (+35).
- Awesome by BrendanEich.
- Undefined-ish by JJ Merelo.
- And the kitchen sink by Ricardo Bittencourt.
- Only sticker by Sebastian Gfeller.
- Equivalent of Perl 6? by Kevin Pilch.
- Perl6::Builtins by moshax.
- Anyone using Perl 6? by Michael Graziano.
- Free ebooks by 1 eBooks.
- Perl 6 and
Croby JJ Merelo.
- What did you think of it? by firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Crazy stuff by Fernando Rodríguez.
- Perl 6 by Simon Proctor.
- An implementation by LightningDAISY.
- What killed Perl by Augie De Blieck Jr..
- Stealing multiple dispatch? by isomorphismes.
- trans is Cool by chee (ª).
- Wanders off again by Simon Proctor.
- Just saying by Simon Proctor.
- Un sondage pour décider by Monguers de Perl.
- Past week highlights by The Perl Shop.
- ROFL by Hartog de Mik.
- Suddenly inclined to learn Perl 6 by Ian Bertolacci.
- Two in One by Николай Говоров.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Roles are fundamentally broken? by Vadim Belman.
filever.exesub? by ToddAndMargo.
- Binary test and position? by ToddAndMargo.
- How do I use
chrinside a regex? by ToddAndMargo.
- Start reading at a specific index? by ToddAndMargo.
- Faster than
index? by ToddAndMargo.
- Fastest way to convert from a
Str? by ToddAndMargo.
index” source code? by ToddAndMargo.
- Decode options? by ToddAndMargo.
- Read options? by ToddAndMargo.
- Reassigning values to variables question by ToddAndMargo.
Nils? by ToddAndMargo.
Perl 6 in comments
- On kebab-case by slobotron.
- Dislike Perl 6 very much by hzhou321.
- Alternatives by Ralph Mellor.
- Guillemets by Ralph Mellor.
- On Stack Replacement by Ralph Mellor.
- On gradual typing by amyjess.
- A runtime that can change itself by Ralph Mellor.
- User definable OO by Ralph Mellor.
- Wasn’t Parrot? by pdpi.
- 10+ years by twunde.
- 4 minute version by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 Modules
- XML::Class, Tinky, Audio::Hydrogen, Lumberjack::Application, IO::Path::Mode, CheckSocket, Audio::Liquidsoap, Device::Velleman::K8055 by Jonathan Stowe.
- Temp::Path by Martin Barth.
- App::Platform by Shoichi Kaji.
- Cro::WebSocket by Jonathan Worthington.
- DB by Curt Tilmes.
- Getopt::Long, App::Prove6, Path::Finder by Leon Timmermans.
- Net::BGP by Joelle Maslak.
- SDL2::Raw by Timo Paulssen.
FOSDEM was a really nice event (apart from the weather on Saturday). But the final kick of FOSDEM didn’t reveal itself until after getting home again. Meeting about 1500 people at the Perl booth, was both enjoyable but also very tiring. Literally running out of Tuits. But it appears that at least one of them also gave yours truly a pesky virus that basically incapacitated her for Monday and most of Tuesday. So the Perl 6 Weekly got a bit delayed. Hope it will be found enjoyable nonetheless!
Since most development efforts were focused on fixing blockers, and this Perl 6 Weekly is already late, I will get back on the core developments of the past week in the next issue of the Perl 6 Weekly. So see you then!