The past weekend showed a flurry of ecosystem bug squashing in the monthly Squashathon (because of FOSDEM, this time on the second Saturday of the month). And the winner is Jonathan Stowe. Congratulations and thanks to all 37 contributors involved. With now even a tool to calculate results! And even though the squashathon has ended, list of bitrotted modules will now be updated continuously, thanks to Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev. Feel free to pick any issue and work on it!
- Ticket status of last week, the week before that and the month of January.
- Jonathan Worthington has merged his work of the past 3 months on getting basic escape analysis in MoarVM. A great step forward to allow for many more runtime optimizations. And he also made sure that debuggers will be able to get at symbols, even if the functionality of the symbols has been optmized away. And he fixed a pesky issue with inlining of some cases of blocks in loops.
.t6extension for test files containing Perl 6 code, is now a thing, thanks to Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev, Leon Timmermans and Joelle Maslak.
- Timo Paulssen fixed various issues with (non-)optimization in MoarVM, such as with the use of
int32variables and the
popopcodes. He also changed the internal format of
CStructs, allowing for easier interoperation.
- Nick Logan extended the error reporting on modules that could not be found when trying to load them.
- And many other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
- Logical problem with
onejunction by lisprogtor.
- How to push onto a hash key of array? by con.
- Terminal ANSI colors does not work with
Data::Printer) by Håkon Hægland.
- Regex subrules and named regex MUCH MUCH slower than explicit regex; how to make them equally fast? by lisprogtor.
- Are there any online courses for Perl 6? by solpaadjustmadisar.
- How do I return from an anonymous recursive sub? by jmcneirney.
- How to make subrule/regex case-insensitive when used in match? by lisprogtor.
- Probable version skew in pre-compiled xxx by lovetomato.
Meanwhile on Facebook
- Converting users by Andrew Shitov.
- Apologies by Wendy van Dijk.
- Writing my own interpreter by Martin Barth.
- GSOC application sent by JJ Merelo.
- Squashathon started by Wendy van Dijk.
Perl6::Parsertests by Jeff Goff.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Different Languages by Alexander Kiryuhin.
- Semantics by Salamander.
- Then he leaves by Simon Proctor.
- Inability to torment by Neuromantic-JS.
- Love to do for practice by Neuromantic-JS.
- Used as a backend by Joaquín Ferrero.
- HTML is trivial by Humberto Massa.
- Fundamentally code by Brad Gilbert.
- Expert at stealing by JJ Merelo.
- Or Perl 6 by Kane Valentine.
- Missing by Peter Kjellström.
- I didn’t know by Alex v0.1.3.
- Moved on by rhoda.
- Grammars lite by André Thénot.
- Basic Escape by Jonathan Worthington.
- Learn to do amazing stuff by JJ Merelo.
- Something like this? by i wanna be sublated.
- Already fixed by Jonathan Stowe.
- Confused by idiosyncrasies by Sebastion Gfeller.
- Depends by Brad Gilbert.
- Regexes are methods by Brad Gilbert.
- Some inspiration from Haskell by Brad Gilbert.
- In production by Brad Gilbert.
- Even better! by isomorphismes.
- Calling Go by mattn.
- Fun language by 鍋.
- Unachieved things by JoyDo.
- 3 x SSS by ikuwowのタイムライン.
- Reignition? by Joachim Viide.
- String delimiting freedom by IDENTIFICATION DIVISION #19.
- Interesting feature by Eden B.
- Faster OpenSSL testing by JJ Merelo.
- Paper for jasyp19 by JJ Merelo.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- VS_VERSION_INFO? by ToddAndMargo.
- Print hex? by ToddAndMargo.
- Shift left syntax? by Todd Chester.
- Buf to integer? by ToddAndMargo.
- Subs and variables speed question by ToddAndMargo.
- List comprehension by mimosinnet.
Perl 6 in comments
- Perhaps better spent on Perl 6? by audioen.
- What Perl 6 calls them by draegtun.
- The full parse tree by Moritz Lenz.
- Old Perl 5 programmers moved to? by kcornet.
- Coming too by spricket.
Perl 6 Modules
- Date::Names by Tom Browder.
- Image::RGBA, Image::RGBA::Text by cygx.
- App::Squashathons by JJ Merelo.
- App::AizuOnlineJudge by Itsuki Toyota.
- Staticish, Lumberjack, Oyatul by Jonathan Stowe.
- MeCab, Algorithm::LBFGS by Itsuki Toyota.
- Map::Agnostic, Map::Ordered by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- epoll by Curt Tilmes.
- Hastebin by Ben Davies.
- Amazon::DynamoDB by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Uzu by Sam Morrison.
- IoC by Martin Barth.
- HTML::Canvas by David Warring.
- Terminal::Print, Getopt::Type by JJ Merelo.
An early Perl 6 Weekly again. With some exciting developments! Especially having the first parts of the optimizations that have become possible because of the escape analysis, are very exciting. Looking forward to reporting about more optimizations in the near future! See you next Monday!