Andrew Shitov would like to know how you like his grant proposal for creating a complete course with exercises covering all aspects of Perl 6, aimed at everyone who is familiar with programming. A course that can be used in self-studying or as a platform for a class. Be sure to leave your comments! (Endorsement on Twitter).
February Grant Report
Jonathan Worthington reports on his progress in the month of February: about escape analysis, scalar replacement and more aggressive optimizations of inlined code.
Linter for YAML files
Alexey Melezhik introduces a new Sparrow6 plugin that checks the validity of YAML files. Good to be aware of if you’re editing YAML files on a regular basis.
Arne Sommer has written a blog post about why and how to create gibberish using Perl 6. All to be part of the 2 day course “Beginning Perl 6” he’ll be giving at the European PerlCon in Riga in August. (Reddit, Twitter comments).
An event about functional programming in Granada on the 6th of April, will see a presentation about functional programming in Perl 6 by none other than Elena Merelo! (En Español)
Videos from TechMeet
Two Perl 6 videos from the last London.pm Technical Meeting:
Impressions from GPW 2019
Martin Becker shared his impressions about the German Perl Workshop in Munich. With some good and some not so good about Perl 6. And the Worst Pie Chart Ever!
European PerlCon news
Two more sponsors: perlmaven.com and The Perl Shop. Also, time is running out on Early Bird pricing of tickets. And don’t forget to check out the brilliant PerlCon Teaser for Jonathan Worthington‘s workshop!.
Mohammad S Anwar describes how two projects kept him busy in the past week: one of them being another London Hack Day, and the other about a Weekly Perl (5 or 6) challenge.
Why operators are useful
Guido van Rossum has written a blog post on why operators are useful, and whether or not adding an operator for merging two hashes is a sensible thing to do. It also mentions Perl, presumably Perl 6. (Twitter, Reddit comments).
Types are moving to the right
Roman Elizarov takes a look at a lot of older and newer programming languages and comes to the conclusion that modern languages specify their types to the right of the variable. (Twitter, Reddit comments).
Something about IR optimization
- Ticket status of past week, with an extreme number of updated tickets thanks to Lucas Buchala labelling 250+ previously unlabelled issues.
- Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev released a 2019.03.1 release of the Rakudo Compiler, to fix an issue that was found on Windows while testing the Rakudo Star 2019.03 Release Candidate.
- Jonathan Worthington merged all of his optimization work of the past month or so.
- Nick Logan‘s work on creating an
nqp::uname, that removes the need to shell out to
uname, was merged.
- Audiatorix provided the incentive to create better error messages when
mapgets fed something other than a
- Sergio Ortiz Rojas suggested making
Failure.newon an instantiated
Failureobject to throw, rather than silently create a new
- And some other fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
- Mistyped method call with colon syntax. No error. But what does it mean? by drclaw.
- Useless use of
-1in sink context by Antonio Gamiz Delgado.
- Behaviour of feed operator pipeline by drclaw.
- Peculiar error using
:sadverb by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- How to handle special characters from file? by Frenzowski.
- Test module
Bufby Curt Tilmes.
Buflifetime and Garbage Collector by Curt Tilmes.
- Sigilless variables, constants, bindings: when to choose what by pistacchio.
- Useless use of hash composer, or cannot modify an immutable hash? by JJ Merelo.
- How to tell the difference between types of
nqpiterators by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Meanwhile on Facebook
- Meet in Strasbourg? by Wendy van Dijk.
- The day of π by Andrew Shitov.
- Shooting a cool promo by Wendy van Dijk.
- Perl 6 ordered by Wendy van Dijk.
- Time to update the cover by Andrew Shitov (Last update).
- Other languages have a long way to go by Norman Gaywood.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Kept or broken by chee.
- Expecting to booth by Andrew Shitov.
- One more by JJ Merelo.
- Tutorial video by The Perl Shop.
- Documentation, you know by JJ Merelo.
- Discord & IRC by Simon Proctor.
- FortiOS update by K.Namba/ご注文は910ですか？.
- Shrunk after porting by こたつがめ.
- Not Perl 6? by gǔ yuè.
- Delayed after signal malfunction by DB Regio AG – Mitte.
- Two argument lambda by Danny McClanahan.
- Something like by Patrick Spek.
- Past Highlights by The Perl Shop.
- BEAM vs MOAR? by MaMo.
- Acing an interview by Carl Mäsak.
- An abstract concept by Josh.
- Participera au GSOC by Mongueurs de Perl.
- Pretty neat language by Danny McClanahan.
- Looking for students by Kane Valentine.
- Thanks by Michal Jurosz.
- Clean sheet design by MaMo.
- Hella cool by Daisuki Maki.
- GraalVM is delivering by Adam Leventhal.
- Giving Perl 6 a try by Michael Burge.
- Not a Perl 6 guy by 𝕃𝕠𝕜𝕚.
- Just load Scala 2 into Scala 3? by Timo Paulssen.
- The temptation of Rakudo by はるかみ☆ (まさきはるか).
- And then some more by Robert Clausecker.
- Share your challenges by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Instead of Perl 6 by JJ Merelo.
- Awesome by JJ Merelo.
- Released? by Sigeto Tanaka.
- Language specification by こたつがめ.
- Back into the groove by Joelle Maslak.
- Enabling parsers by Nikola Mandic.
- Pretty big fan by 🌲 🌐 🌹.
- Butterfly Project is back! by JJ Merelo.
- Parallel und asynchron by Herbert Breunung.
- Support this grant by brian d foy.
- Crochet! by @doomyflo@framapiaf.
Perl 6 in comments
- Compiling on AIX 7.2 again! by ItchyPlant.
- Don’t ask me by Ralph Mellor.
- Perl 6 does the right thing by athenot.
- How I see Perl 6 by Ralph Mellor.
- Three different things by Ralph Mellor.
- Language tweaking by Ralph Mellor.
- Three phases done differently by Ralph Mellor.
- On your scale by Ralph Mellor.
- Comparing to… by Ralph Mellor.
- Paradox by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 Modules
- Date::Names by Tom Browder.
- DB::MySQL, DB:Pg by Curt Tilmes.
- ArrayHash, AWS::Session by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- Tinky by Jonathan Stowe.
- Algorithm::LibSVM by Itsuki Toyota.
- List::UtilsBy, List::MoreUtils, List::SomeUtils, List::Util, List::AllUtils, P5opendir, DirHandle, P5caller, P5getgrnam, P5getnetbyname, P5getprotobyname, P5getpwnam, P5getservbyname, P5localtime, P5times, Memoize, P5built-ins by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Libui by Travis Gibson.
A nice week with plenty of thought-provoking blog posts and comments. And some nice new optimizations as well. Be sure to tune in next week for more Perl 6 news!