Andrew Shitov has just published the latest newsletter about PerlCon in Riga. With updates about talks (deadline for submissions is 15 June). And about the River Cruise, which is an optional entertainment option (for max. 150 people, so get your tickets sooner rather than later!). And that cPanel has become a Gold sponsor! And much more!
Evolution of doc repository
An amazing visualization of the development of the Perl 6 documentation repository by Bart:
Even though last weekend’s Squashathon was not announced in the Perl 6 Weekly due to skipping a week, 12 participants nonetheless worked on the Perl 6 documentation last Saturday. And the winner is Tobias Boege: the plush Camelia is in the mail!
Perl Weekly Challenge
With two sets of blogs posts about Perl 6 solutions this week: about Challenge #5:
- Perl 6 Anagrams by Arne Sommer.
- Anagramming to the Max by Francis Whittle.
- Anagrams – in O(N) by Joelle Maslak.
- Applying permutations to an anagram challenge by Jo Christian Oterhals (Reddit comments).
- Anagrams by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Perl Weekly Challenge – 005 by Mark Senn.
- Perl Weekly Week 5 (Part 1) and Perl Weekly Week 5 (Part 2) by Simon Proctor.
and Challenge #6:
- Compact Number Ranges and Ramanujan’s Constant by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Perl 6 Int Erval by Arne Sommer.
Challenge #7 is up for your perusal!
New Perl 6 blogger Mark Carter introduces himself in a blog post about an accounts package that he created many moons ago in Perl 5, how the conversion to Perl 6 went, what features of Perl 6 he liked. Very nice to see such a nice blog post about Perl 6 out of the blue!
Wenzel on a roll
Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer wrote 3 blog posts in the past 2 weeks:
- In “Nil is a pessimist” he describes how
Nilis only half
Empty, which resulted in a documentation issue about
- In “Parallel Permutations” he reacted to one of the Weekly Challenge posts in a blog post about using
- In “MONKEY see no Nil” he describes his further experiences with the use of
First look at LogP6
Perl Toolchain Summit
Refactoring the Universe
Carl Mäsak returned to blogging after a 17 month lull with a blog post about a large refactor in 007, the prototyping language for macro support in Perl 6.
March Report Jonathan
Matthias Bloch has published the March report of Jonathan Worthington‘s work on the Perl 6 Development Grant.
- Ticket status of the past week, the week before that and the month of April.
- Stefan Seifert spent a lot of time making the build of Rakudo Perl 6 and its subsystems NQP and MoarVM completely reproducible, which is a prerequisite for inclusion in many stable distributions.
- Timo Paulssen made the profiler much more stable, especially in the light of unexpected exits from the program. He also did a lot of work on optimizing various data structures in MoarVM.
- Jonathan Worthington improved error detection on writing to the STDIN of a spawned process and fixed a problem with subclassing of the
- Christian Bartolomäus fixed some more issues on the JVM backend.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made sure the history file in the REPL always exists.
- Patrick Böker fixed some issues with utility scripts on Windows. He also made sure that all possible command-line parameters are only shown on backends on which they are actually available. And he implemented a
--full-cleanupflag that will first tear down all internal data structures in an orderly fashion, rather than just exiting to the OS when the program is done.
- And many other improvements and fixes.
Questions about Perl 6
- Overloading operators for a class by uzlxxxx.
- Text substitution on array by con.
- Read file in test folder when using
- Creating a hash that is read-only outside of a module, but read/write inside by guifa.
- How to get the path in file of a different file of the module? by sid_com.
- “Can’t open perl script ”t/spec/fudgeall“: File or directory not found” by JJ Merelo.
- Problems using
Codeobjects by JJ Merelo.
- Loading symbols from simple files by JJ Merelo.
- Random message: Out-of-sync package detected in LANG1 by drclaw.
- Mixing-in roles in traits apparently not working by JJ Merelo.
- Creating packages through declaration of subs by JJ Merelo.
- Generic code to test if modules load by Mimosinnet.
- Is there subscript syntax to extract a diagonal from a 2D Array? by drclaw.
- How evil is
MONKEY-TYPING? by oxylene.
- Can Perl 6 interface with Ada? by dusktigris.
- Unreachable command line option in
MAINby JJ Merelo.
- Post-increment and variable re-use in a single statement, Perl 5 vs Perl 6 by David Hoekman.
- Placeholder variable and topic variable by John Z. Li.
Meanwhile on Facebook
- Server died by Wendy van Dijk.
- Perl 6 on Android? by Lmg Glody Clever.
- PTS in Marlow by Wendy van Dijk.
- Feeling like… by Wendy van Dijk.
- Online again by Wendy van Dijk.
- Called… me by Jeff Goff.
- Better than last year by Jeff Goff.
- Tied by Jeff Goff.
- Miss the P6W by Jason Doege.
- Two Martins by Wendy van Dijk.
- Out in the Wild by Wendy van Dijk.
- What happened? by Fritz Zaucker.
- Updated to modern Perl 6 by Hakan Kjellerstrand.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
Sadly, nntp.perl.org was down due to maintenance work by the Perl NOC. Which made it rather hard to provide links to mailinglist messages. Yours truly will try again next week.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Kudos to samcv by eater of cyber.
- Looking forward by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Waiting for result by JJ Merelo.
- Where is it happening? by 令和既にApple製品が2回壊れる.
- In archive by ✨ Trey Hunner @ PyCon 🐍.
- On Unicode Security by JJ Merelo.
- Serious trouble by adultsis.
- Register machine by Jewelve.
- Using Perl 6 by hoto.
- Perl 6 needs to push harder by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Got distracted by Mohammad S Anwar.
- It is awesome by Jason Doege.
- Very welcome by JJ Merelo.
- Surprisingly high by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- Backporting a bunch of Perl 6 OO constructs by The Perl Shop.
- 10 so far by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Arrows and uncertainty by apenwarr.
- Cool naming style by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Forgotten by こたつがめ.
- Crochet by DoomyfloCrochet.
- Go for Perl 6 by Suman Khanal.
- Not much code by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- Unfair by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Check out Practical Perl 6 Programming by Jeff Goff.
- Quite easy by JJ Merelo.
- Not nice to computer by Joelle Maslak.
- Good response by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Thought process behind solution by Mohammad S Anwar.
- It’s cool by Carlos Cobos.
- Does it with passion by Ale Cortés.
- Gives what it promises by Interferencias.
- Tell us by Paula.
- Second presentation by Antonio J. Caba.
- Changes considerably by kamimura.
- X-JJ by JJ Merelo.
- 222: It’s awesome by JJ Merelo.
- Designed from scratch by JJ Merelo.
- After Erlang and Elixir by オペアンプbot.
- Algorithms > Speed by Joelle Maslak.
- Cool and important by 𝙖𝙨_𝙞𝙣𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖́𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙤 ♠️.
- Most flexible since Common Lisp by firebreathingduck.
- Educational stuff by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- GSOD funding Perl 6 documentation by The Perl Shop.
- Such as Perl 6 by Liam Proven.
- Hacked up by soapdog (mastodon: @email@example.com).
- First solution in minutes by .
- Still Avoid by ‘Dev’ in Creole.
- Newer version by Kruthik Dhillon.
- Perl 6, right? by Walt Mankowski.
- Important by JJ Merelo.
- Handle cp392 input? by 鼠取り猫.
- Why fix? by Javier Herrero.
- Green again by JJ Merelo.
- More Perl 6 solutions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- All Your Paradigms Are Belong To Us by Fortune Bot.
- Two lines away by clifford the big red pawg.
- Squashathon! by JJ Merelo.
- Where do you use? by Николай Говоров.
- Unstuck by JJ Merelo.
- Excitement! by Ale Cortés.
- What was I thinking? by Neil Bowers.
- Swallow and spit? by John Z. Li.
- Design and implementation different by urimaro.
- In the middle by JJ Merelo.
- Awk with grammars by Programmer.
- Sort by key extractor by Carl Mäsak.
- Multis without parameters? by brian d foy.
- Compact solution out of the box by mcturra2000.
- Why not
const? by John Z. Li.
- Solution to anagrams by The Perl Shop.
Perl 6 in comments
- Better suited by claudiawerner.
- Weird switch by Ralph Mellor.
- More Fun by perlancar.
- Not talking about Perl 6? by mariuolo.
- Dynamic vs static typing by Ralph Mellor.
- Better solution by dragonwriter.
- Refinement types by Ralph Mellor.
- A breath of fresh air by olah_1.
Perl 6 Modules
- File::Stat by 0racle.
- Git::Blame by JJ Merelo.
- JSON::Path by Tony O’Dell.
- Unicode::Security by JJ Merelo.
- LogP6, Scheduler::DelayBetween by Mikhail Khorkov.
- Pod::Render, GTK::Glade, GTK::V3, BSON by Marcel Timmerman.
- HTTP::Tinyish by Shoichi Kaji.
- FindBin by Steven Lembark.
- App::Tasks by Joelle Maslak.
- Test::Script::Output by JJ Merelo.
Yours truly was sorry to not have the energy to do the Perl 6 Weekly last week. Sometimes the energy is just missing, especially after an intense event like the Perl Toolchain Summit. Things look to be on track again now, so please expect a new Perl 6 Weekly next week with more goodies.