Both big Perl conferences this year have published their May newsletter:
With less than a month to go, the schedule for TPCiP has become available. The TPCiR doesn’t have a finished schedule yet, but it does have a list of talk proposals and an indication whether the talk has been accepted already or not. It’s not too late to plan your attendance!
And Vadim makes three!
Please welcome Vadim Belman as our latest Rakudo core developer. This makes the third new Rakudo core developer this year! Also known under his nick vrurg, he has published Perl 5 as well as Perl 6 modules. Most recently, he has revamped the Perl 6 build system, which makes Rakudo Perl 6 much more acceptable for a lot of packagers in the world. Yours truly is looking forward to all the contributions he will give to Rakudo Perl 6!
Perl Weekly Challenge
Blog posts in Perl 6 for the Perl Weekly Challenge #8:
- Perl Weekly Challenge Part 8 by Simon Proctor (Reddit comments).
- Perfect Indentation with Perl 6 by Arne Sommer (Reddit comments).
- Perfect Numbers and Centered Output by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Squaring up to the Perfect Centre by Francis Whittle.
Challenge #9 is up for your perusal!
- Ticket status of the past week.
- Jonathan Worthington reduced the memory usage of mixed bigint and native int operations. Which will surely be part of his performance update at the Perl Conference in Riga!
- Vadim Belman continued his work on revamping the build process, and fixed the underlying issue of the “Missing or wrong version of dependency” error that appeared much more often recently.
- Christian Bartolomäus fixed various Travis issues for the JVM backend.
- Daniel Green worked on several issues regarding to profiling on MoarVM: it is no longer possible to profile both compiler time and run time in a single run (for now at least).
- Alexander Kiryuhin fixed some issues with parsing of
&&in grammars, inspired by Jonathan Worthington.
- And some other improvements and fixes.
Questions about Perl 6
- Is it possible to use feeds with lazy lists? by Ben Davies.
proto tokencandidates ordering by hythm.
- Declare and initialize a typed array from a range by Jessica Nowak.
- Is there a
%*SUB-MAIN-OPTSpair for short option processing? by drclaw.
- Checking syntax of a string or file by JJ Merelo.
grammarbehaviour break between 6.c and 6.d? by p6steve.
- Run command as a different user by Mimosinnet.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Asymptotic typing by きみとぼく@新社会人;bot.
- On Functional Programming by JJ Merelo.
- Regexes are code by Brad Gilbert.
- Among the shortest by Brad Gilbert.
- Talking about 007 by The Perl Shop.
- Did you mean… by Brad Gilbert.
- Few seats left by Jeff Goff.
- Other than Perl by Perlゼミ.
- More formulaic? by 赤沢忠則.
- It’s released by Perlゼミ.
- Next 100 years by Opensouthcode.
- Solving fun problems by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Nice to find a place by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Community design by Mikhaela Louisse Altea ᴬᴰᴺ.
- Mich nicer by M. H. M. B..
- I hope it catches on by firebreathingduck.
- Abusing signatures by Simon Proctor.
- The regex source by pipopa.
- Confusing already by 🔥 🐉Gr8ham 🌊 🐊.
- Before it becomes mainstream! by JJ Merelo.
- Looking away by Boiled cream treat.
- Different regex engine? by pipopa.
- Coroutines because they have to by Carl Mäsak.
- Not a follower by 치즈군★.
- Not nearly as badly by Joel Berger.
- Always the problem by Ase Deliri.
- First to take the third by Mohammad S Anwar.
- But possible by Simon Proctor.
- Better wielded by 𝙰𝚗𝚔𝚒𝚝 𝙿𝚊𝚝𝚒.
- Anything not crazy by mallory, alice & bob.
- Bundle for textmate by chee.
- The beautiful difference by Parthiban Nagarajan.
- Draw the line by Carl Mäsak.
- Asynchronous web applications by Perl Conferences.
- Perfect on RosettaCode by JJ Merelo.
- Datapoint: TCL by Stéphane Payrard.
- Should try! by JJ Merelo.
NativeCallinterface by JJ Merelo.
- The Perl 6 of TV by isaac.
- Like Perl 6? by Argyris Zymnis ⚙.
- Deal with it by Arvid Gertsmann.
- Covering iterators and gather/take by The Perl Shop.
- A really large application by Andrew Shitov.
- Languages that do the same by JJ Merelo.
Perl 6 in comments
- Return in signature by b2gills.
- A self-describing metalanguage by Ralph Mellor.
- No advantage like Perl 6 by chriswarbo.
- In Perl 6 by Ralph Mellor.
- Simpler? by Ralph Mellor.
- Current favourite language by earenndil.
- A fantastic multi-threading story by Ultimatt.
- Interesting Go paper by bobthecimmerian.
Perl 6 Modules
- FileSystem::Parent by Steven Lembark.
- Cro::HTTP::Session::Red by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- App::Game::Concentration by JJ Merelo.
- Type::EnumHOW by Ben Davies.
- FindBin::Dirs, FindBin by Steven Lembark.
- Async::Workers by Vadim Belman.
- Term::TablePrint, Term::Choose, Term::Form by Matthäus Kiem.
- Font::FreeType by David Warring.
- Map::Agnostic by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- GTK::V3 by Marcel Timmerman.
Good to see new faces, as it were, in the Perl 6 world. Having travelled a bit more than usual the past week, yours truly was pleasantly surprised today while working on the Perl 6 Weekly. Please check in again next week for more surprises!