With a tweet, Curtis “Ovid” Poe made it known to the world that he had written up his view on the proposal to rename Perl 6. And from then, it went sort of viral in the IT community with comments / mentions in: Hacker News, /r/perl, /r/perl6, PerlMonks, The Register, Lobsters, Slashdot, Developpez (French), Heise (German), Opennet (Russian), Blognone (Thai), I-Programmer, Technologik (French), SD Times, Packt. And probably many more places.
Meanwhile, the associated Pull Request is almost ready for the voting procedure.
Call for Grant proposals
Less than a week left to come up with your Grant Proposals for the September 2019 round of grants from The Perl Foundation.
Somehow, ZhongnianTao‘s blogpost about implementing the GB2312, has fallen through the cracks. Still a good read about the complexities of this mapping!
Why Perl 6 has graphemes
A very extensive treatise about the length of emoji’s by Henri Sivonen: it mentions Perl 6. It’s a long read, but should give you an appreciation about the torture that Perl 6 developers have gone through to give you grapheme support.
Perl 6 or math?
Aaron Sherman elaborated on calculating
e with a
Sigma class and some more magic, allowing
1 + Σ(1, ∞, 1∕*!) to actually work!
Aaron Sherman also started a tutorial about closures in Perl 6.
Via the cubes
Andrew Shitov also mentioned that 42 can be expressed as the sum of three cubes. Which, contrary to many other programming languages, works out of the box with the Perl 6 Programming Language.
Perl Weekly Challenge #23
Blog posts with Perl 6 solutions for Challenge #23:
- Random Differential Decomposition with Perl 6 by Arne Sommer.
- Perl Weekly Challenge – 023, Task #1, Perl Weekly Challenge – 023, Task #2 by Mark Senn.
- Perl Weekly Challenge: Week 23 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
- Perl Weekly Challenge # 23: Difference Series and Prime Factorization by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Perl Weekly Challenge 23 by Roger Bell West.
Damian Conway published a blog titled “To compute a constant of calculus (A treatise on multiple ways) in response to challenge #21.
Perl Weekly Challenge #24
Blog posts with Perl 6 solutions for Challenge #24:
- Small Inversions with Perl 6 by Arne Sommer.
- Perl Weekly Challenge 24 Task 1 – Smallest Script by Joelle Maslak.
- Perl Weekly Challenge: Week 24 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
- Perl Weekly Challenge # 24: Smallest Script and Inverted Index by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Perl Weekly Challenge 24 by Roger Bell West.
Challenge #25 is up for your perusal.
Will be catching up on this next week.
Questions about Perl 6
- Possible to use
Promise.inwith infinite time? by drclaw.
- Splitting on a change by yary.
- Apply a proxy using traits by guifa.
- Why not just
$instead of $_ for the topic variable? by Pimozv.
- Decimal separator by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- What are the truthy and falsy values? by guifa.
- How do we work with OS-independent paths? by JJ Merelo.
- Deleting directory trees in a OS-independent way by JJ Merelo.
Log::TimelineVisualisation in IntelliJ by Valle Lukas.
- How to construct a
CUnionnested inside of a
CStruct? by Elronnd.
- Function to get links available only when hover by lisprogtor.
- Where is colon-postfixed notation for method call syntax documented in the official docs? by nmtake.
- HTML color gradient generator by Mimosinnet.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Noted a lacuna by Not Jack.
- Eaten a third of the screen by Stéphane Payrard.
- Nice and lovely by Stéphane Payrard.
- Something new by Caroline Murgue もしMindset Designer 미란.
rotorcool too! by Simon Proctor.
- Designed to mutate by Stéphane Payrard.
- Not boring by Stéphane Payrard.
- Worth the wait by firebreathingduck.
- Say hello by tonyuo.
Dateobjects here by Simon Proctor.
- About jokes by Stéphane Payrard.
- Van Eck Sequence by Kang-min Liu.
- Telling the bits to flow by Joelle Maslak.
- A better choice by eater of cyber 🖤 🐀 🤍 💚 🤍 🐀 🖤.
- Chaining not in 5 by Malte Ubl.
- Remember? by Paul Bissex.
- Much more reasonable by Martin Hořeňovský.
- Never touched it by ガミネ.
- Moved on by Ukiah Danger Smith ⚡.
- For the best by Franklin Delano Stallone.
- Doesn’t seem to fit anymore by Michael Saji.
- Interesting read by Ukiah Danger Smith ⚡.
- Absolutely! by Jeremi M. Gosney.
- So can Perl by Unix McBeard.
- Never tried by 💣 b∀BГO 💣.
- Surviving the decade by Chankey Pathak.
- Waiting two decades by Srinath Krishna.
- Really! by yet another clever name.
- Add my vote by Jonathan Eunice.
- Applying a band-aid by Augie De Blieck Jr..
- May be moving by Wilfred Hughes.
- Not compatible by Brandur.
- At least 5 years ago by ryochin.
- Another 20 by wuputah.
- Makes sense by Carl Hunter Roach.
- Not out yet? by PiTTAYA⊿ 🤒 ⚡️.
- So strange by твою философию шатал.
- Honestly absurd by L.M. Mayo.
- Quick poll by Ashwin Dixit.
- New names by Feedjunkie XL.
- So great by Ben Martin.
- Added to repl.it by Deji Adegbite.
- The world sucks by Simon Proctor.
- A name of its own by Charlie Stross.
- Should I try? by Noel Rappin.
- Nobody in their right mind by tekHedd.
- Suck at naming by Curtis “Ovid” Poe.
- Unicode aware awesome by Simon Proctor.
- Didn’t expect by Curtis “Ovid” Poe.
- Irrationality by Jonathan Cast.
- For now? by Widi Raspito Utomo.
- The smell of? by dominix 🦇.
- Completely split by Jason Fossen.
- Grateful by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Accepted suggestion? by Perlゼミ@Perl好きな方、相互フォローでつながりましょう!.
- Perfect fit by balaji.
- Any talks overseas? by Kazuhiro YOSHIKAWA.
- Feeling lonely by yancya.
- Why this mascot? by Claudio Ramirez.
- In favor by Gordon P. Hemsley.
- Strong candidates by 高梨陣平.
- Strange image by N M.
- Sadly not worked with by Vivek Das.
- Their own problem by Ben Ramsay.
- Fascinated by Stefan Arentz 🦊 🤓.
- Htmlify no more by JJ Merelo.
- More optimistic by Delton Ding.
- Blown away by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Feels out of time by yasu⋈(HIRATA Yasuyuki)@アスカネット.
- Revived to work by まちカドまぞくはTBS木曜・配信金曜・BS土曜.
- Just like classes by chenyf.
- Glossary of terms by びーぐる.
- Wandered off by Sebastian Enger.
- Confusing by Fadis.
- For a moment by スマートコン.
- How is that decided? by Mohammad S Anwar.
- My first Perl 6 talk by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Faster than Perl 6 by 予定地 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈.
- Disappearing? by けなん.
- Different from… by timeler.
- New modules! by Joelle Maslak.
- Also Python 3 by Shin’ya Ueoka.
- Kindled my joy by Simon Proctor.
- Because I love it by Simon Proctor.
- Prolog like solver by Simon Proctor.
- The new namespace by sweth.
- Two years of arguing by Sam Sharpe.
- Already released by Tamas Rev.
- Feels like hell by kyoh86.
- For two years by Arturo Linares.
- Longer than expected by JJ Merelo.
- Too different by 田中ひさてる.
- Need to be marked as
- Never stopped loving by Anthony Juckel.
- Under the bed by Joe Johnston.
- Rather on emacs by argp.
- Not yet by Yanick.
- By accident by F. J. Tsao Santín ن.
- A language that doesn’t hate you by Bernie Simon.
- Whispering horizon by 覆面ノルド.
- No longer good by Atsushi Kajiro.
- No Perl related outrage by Ibnu D. Aji.
- Pretty straightforward by Ben Davies.
- Shiny by Simon Proctor.
- Counts and doesn’t count by Trey Harris.
- True by Jeff Goff.
- Need a harness? by Alexey Melezhik.
- Amazing by Steve Scaffidi.
- Learned to bind by Garth Mortensen.
- Can’t believe it by Tamas Rev.
- More… by Jeremy Leader.
- Tells you why by Joelle Maslak.
- Implement ISUCON9 by 八雲アナグラ.
- Your guess? by mac Róich.
- Looking to rebrand by epc.
- If you can’t wait by Christian Hujer ⌨ 🧙♂️ ☮ ♻️ 🏴☠️ 🇪🇺 🇩🇪 🇮🇳 🏳️🌈.
- Three correct ways by Smylers.
Meanwhile on Facebook
- Conference cancelled by Jeff Goff.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- [ please ] request for perl machine learning utils development by Cloud Cache.
NativeCalland variable argument lists by Marcel Timmerman.
- How do I use
~with Regex syntax? by ToddAndMargo.
- Variable character class by yary.
- List in regexp by yary.
- Rakudo Star 2019.07? by Patrick Spek.
- 11.01 in binary by ToddAndMargo.
- Core dump by ToddAndMargo.
zef uninstall .by Fernando Santagata.
- Typed pairs by Mikkel.
Perl 6 in comments
- More time and effort by beermad.
- Food for thought by Aaron Sherman.
- As COBOL by nmtake.
- Language agnostic metaprogramming by Ralph Mellor.
- Well written by eesmith.
- Matching examples by Ralph Mellor.
- About time by Charlie Stross.
- Insanely sweet by Ralph Mellor.
- Looking forward to debates by autoexec.
- Deemed popular? by Ralph Mellor.
- Similar to Haskell by marcosdumay.
- Call other languages? by 6thaccount2.
- Turing complete by Ralph Mellor.
- If pressed hard enough by zokier.
- Worth checking by Aaron Sherman.
- A language for that by Pete Sergeant.
- Such a joke by phr3dly.
- Not a sucessor by virusduck.
- Fiasco for a model citizen by chrshawkes.
- A small comfort by carapace.
- Not exactly by mindcrime.
Perl 6 Modules
- Symbol by Ben Davies.
- POSIX::getaddrinfo, MessageStream by Mark Devine.
- LibXML by David Warring.
- BDD::Behave, ORM::ActiveRecord by Greg Donald.
- Channel::Pauseable by Timothy Hinchcliffe.
- Lazy::Static by Sam Gillespie.
- Gnome::GObject, Gnome::Gtk3 by Marcel Timmerman.
- Result, Structable by Sam Gillespie.
- JSON::Fast by Timo Paulssen.
- App::Tasks, Net::BGP by Joelle Maslak.
- Tomty, Tomtit by Alexey Melezhik.
- Constants::Sys::Socket by Travis Gibson.
- HTTP::Supply by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Inline::Perl5 by Stefan Seifert.
After enjoying some rest and relaxation in Ireland and Scotland (yes, whisky distilleries were visited), it was good to be back home again. And what a two weeks it has been online! Good to see so many new Perl 6 modules. Hope to see many more next week!