It was a fruitful week. We saw the release of Rakudo Star 2017.07 thanks to Steve Mynott. Apart from a source version, there are also packages for CentOS, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu (thanks to Claudio Ramirez), as well as packages for MacOS and Win64 (thanks to Steve Mynott again). And we had a new ecosystem addition for each day of the week. And the hard copy version of Perl 6 Fundamentals by Moritz Lenz is hitting the bookshelves!
The Perl Conference in Amsterdam
- EPO Hackathon – if you want to hack on EPO
- Share a Room – if you want to share a room with someone else to reduce cost
- Volunteers – if you would like to assist the organizers
- Be A Tourist – useful pointers for touristing in Amsterdam
And you can still register!
Think Perl 6mega book review by Nikos Vaggalis (Reddit comments).
- Swiss Perl Workshop 2017 – Final Call For Papers by Lee Johnson.
Clojure– Reloaded by subogero.
Outthenticis a script development framework by Alexey Melezhik.
- Can anything save Pumpking Perl 5? by Christopher Burr.
Sparkyis continues integration server with
Sparrowdoframework under the hood by Alexey Melezhik.
- Jonathan Worthington continued working on the first step of his overhaul of the
MoarVMdynamic optimizer, which optimizes hot code based on collected type information. He now has a branch with optimization and JIT compilation running on a background thread rather than interrupting code, and a new means of data collection that will allow for smarter optimization decisions in the future. Along the way, he has fixed a range of optimization bugs that existed prior to these changes and which were driven out by stresstesting. With everything working again, he will now switch to tuning it ahead of a merge. Finally, he also fixed native callbacks on threads other than the one that provided them in the first place.
- Samantha McVey worked a lot on optimizing concatenation of strings on the
MoarVMbackend, fixing several bugs along the way.
- Gerd Pokorra added a
--libdirparameter to the configuration of Rakudo Perl 6.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made the various stringifications (aka
Mix) up to 2x faster. Also, the output of
.gistis now sorted. She also worked on
Mix.rollmaking them upto 2x faster, and fixed a bug in
Array.join, which ignored the
is defaultsetting of the
:deleted from the
- Nick Logan made sure that
:verwill be treated as a literal
Version, rather than as a string. So that
use Test:veris now completely synonymous with
- Zoffix Znet improved the
TODOtest handling inside
- Stefan Seifert fixed
--ll-exception, which was sadly broken (and got into the 2017.07 release unnoticed).
- Timo Paulssen made sure that the installation of Rakudo Perl 6 will not cause execution errors in a script that is running the previous version of Rakudo Perl 6 at the same time.
- And several other improvements and bugfixes.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- “Perl 6 Fundamentals” is now published by Moritz Lenz.
- Does Perl 6 support dependent types? by brian d foy.
- There is also Learning with Perl 6 by Mark Keating.
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
- Extracting from
.bibfile with Perl 6 by Suman.
- How can you configure
Bailadorto serve content via TLS (HTTPS)? by S. Albano.
- Custom precompilation location? by Christopher Bottoms.
- Can I limit my Perl 6 program to running under a particular implementation? by brian d foy.
- How can I drop into the Rakudo Perl 6
REPLinside a program? by brian d foy.
- Does Perl 6 have an infinite
Int? by brian d foy.
- Does Perl 6 natively support Design by Contract? by contemplator.
- Why is this Perl 6
feedoperator a “bogus statement”? by brian d foy.
- How can I pass arguments to a Perl 6 grammar? by brian d foy.
- Is it possible to have two different Perl versions? by Vicky.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Zip mystery by ToddAndMargo.
- Where’s the filter command? by Mark Carter.
- Security and modules question by Andrew Kirkpatrick.
- Memory usage by Gábor Szabó.
- Why is my class rejecting
new()? by Mark Carter.
win 32being worked on? by Mark Carter.
set (+) set = bag? by Darren Duncan.
- Rakudo Perl 6 Speed Revelation by Shlomi Fish.
- Swedish::TextDates_sv by svekenfur.
- Text::MiscUtils by Geoffrey Broadwell.
- Grammar::Modelica by albastev.
- Sparky by Alexey Melezhik.
- YAML::Parser::LibYAML by Tony O’Dell.
- 6pm by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Object::Container by moznion.
Ah, looking forward to next week when we will have many more fruity bits. Hope to see you again, then!