While enjoying some touristic activities in the Northern parts of Scotland (well, North of Glasgow anyway), this Perl 6 Weekly comes from the town of Tyndrum. According to the Wikipedia article:
Thus unusually there are two stations serving the same small village, only a few hundred yards apart, but about 10 miles (16 km) apart by rail.
Which yours truly finds oddly descriptive of the situation in the Perl community: so close, yet seen as so far apart by some.
The Perl Conference in Glasgow
And what an excellent conference it was! And live-streamed as well all over the world. Some blog reports have already surfaced, all of them referencing Perl 6 in some form or another:
- The Perl Conference in Glasgow by Dave Cross.
- The European Perl Conference in Glasgow by Lance Wicks.
- The Perl Conference in Glasgow – Report by Mohammad S Anwar.
- My First Perl Conference by Sam Anderson.
- Perl is Perl by JJ Merelo.
- My First Perl Conference by Simon Proctor.
By next week, there will be separate videos for each presentation. Until then, you will have to do with the raw recorded live-streams.
Other Blog Posts
- TIO are looking into installing Perl 6 modules incl. IP5! 🙂 Which modules would we like? by Ralph Mellor.
- I’m writing an
ORMfor Perl 6 and I’d love some comments by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Garbage Collection in Perl 6 by Elizabeth Mattijsen (Reddit comments).
- The first public release by Timo Paulssen.
- Macro’s and Perl 6 by bobthecimmerian.
Alas, too much R&R to dive into this with the appropriate amount of depth and precision. Hopefully next week a 3-week overview.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- More complaints about Camelia by Joelle Maslak.
- Riga Again! by Kenichi Ishigaki.
- 56 minutes by Joelle Maslak.
- JJ Broke Everything by Granada PM4.
- It’s working! by Zoffix Znet.
- Incrementing a Camel by Joelle Maslak.
- The Book Cover by brian d foy.
- $a == 1 && $a == 2 && $a == 3 by Andrew Shitov.
- Massive Camelia by Sam Anderson.
- In Production by Joelle Maslak.
- 1300 issues closed by JJ Merelo.
- Receiving a
BGPopen by Joelle Maslak.
- Never Do That by Moritz Lenz.
- A different point of View by JJ Merelo.
- Not yet by JJ Merelo.
- Filling in details by The Perl Shop.
Meanwhile on FaceBook
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
MAIN/ command line Parsing by Beuss.
- Why don’t new operator definitions persist in the
REPL? by Daniel Mita.
- More concise way to build a configuration class using environment variables? by wbn.
- How to add an attribute to an object using the meta-object protocol? by Håkon Hægland.
Meanwhile on PerlMonks
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- I need the rules for running modules from the command line by ToddAndMargo.
- How do I test my substitutions? by ToddAndMargo.
- Perl 6 POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 by Mark Devine.
- Curious effects in debugging by Theo van den Heuvel.
- How do I write this? by Todd Chester.
sedstopped working by Todd Chester.
Perl 6 in comments
- Rebranding won’t gain much by bobthecimmerian.
- Arcane examples by Zoffix Znet.
- Nice built-in CLI construction by slobotron.
- Works well with all programming styles by kamaal.
- More verbose and slower by Ralph Mellor.
- Gently scales up by Ralph Mellor.
- Just going to leave this here by MattEOates.
- So dead that they can not even move into a better perl by shevegen.
Perl 6 Modules
- Range::SetOps, Trait::Env by Simon Proctor.
- Array::Circular by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Term::ReadKey by Jonas Kramer.
- Sparrowdo::Cordova::OSx::Build by Aleksei Melezhik.
- AttrX::Mooish by Vadim Belman.
- Sparrowdo, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Cordova by Aleksei Melezhik.
- Test::HTTP::Server by Simon Proctor.
Having done a whole-day workshop + a last-minute presentation has taken a lot of energy from your truly. Good thing the weather cooperated for a time by being typical late-summer weather for Glasgow. Please check in again next week for more Perl 6 news!