The Perl Conference in Salt Lake City kicked off today with a thought-provoking keynote by Vicky Brasseur on the Importance of Ecosystem viability in the light of a possible ongoing cascade effect in the Perl community. Yours truly hopes to have a link to the video version soon!
Sponsor of \x1F98B
It came to the attention of yours truly that Zoffix Znet has sponsored the unicode symbol 🦋 (aka \x1F98B, aka “BUTTERFLY”) on behalf of the Perl 6 Community. Kudos! FWIW, it looks like 🐪 (aka \x1F42A, aka “DROMEDARY CAMEL”) is still available for sponsoring!
Polish Perl 6 First Steps Experience
Zoffix Znet argues in his blog post (/r/perl and /r/perl6 comments) that it is time to make sure that the Perl 6 experience for readers of the coming Learning Perl 6 book by brian d foy is going to be as smooth as possible. He urges all of us to try that out and make sure we’ve got rid of all of the rough edges.
TPF Grant reports
The past week saw two Perl Foundation Grant reports: Perl 6 CaR TPF Grant: Monthly Report (June, 2018) by Zoffix Znet and No Major Breakthroughs by Timo Paulssen (Reddit comments). Both interesting reads!
A new perl 6 blogger
The past months yours truly apparently missed a number of nice Perl 6 related blog posts by Jo Christian Oterhals:
- Why Perl 6 isn’t Perl 5 & why you should care: a quick look at styles
- The small stuff I love about Perl 6, #1
- A few things I find interesting about Perl 6 style regular expressions (Reddit comments)
- The small stuff I love about Perl 6, #2
All very entertaining reads, especially if you’re coming from Perl 5
Takers for a Russian perl6intro?
- Ticket status of past week.
- Jonathan Worthington and Samantha McVey did a lot of low-level refactoring and optimizing on the MoarVM and JVM backend, which will allow for quite a number of efficiency improvements in the coming weeks.
- Jeremy Studer did further refinements on making signal values work correctly across multiple OSes. He also fixed an issue that manifested itself by
.assuminghaving problems with certain
- Zoffix Znet fixed an issue with
Seqinstead of a
List. He also did a lot of work on the CaR grant.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made
.maxpairsabout 25% faster. She also fixed an issue with
Buf.unpackthat she had introduced earlier.
- And many smaller fixes and improvements.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Signed their soul away by Zoffix Znet.
- Punch list getting shorter by brian d foy.
- Regex Trainingwheels by Zoffix Znet.
- ++99 problems by Zoffix Znet.
- I Love Nature by tomcha.
- Programmation objet en Perl 6 by Perl_DVP.
glot.iohas latest Perl 6 by brian d foy.
- Turn syntax highlighting off? by Timo Paulssen.
- You are what you tolerate! by John Anderson.
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
- How can I get the target of a symlink? by brian d foy.
- How do you append to a file? by brian d foy.
- Does Perl 6 automatically call any special methods when it cleans up an object? by brian d foy.
- Interpolate array in match for AND, OR, NOT functions by lisprogtor.
- How do I export a
LEAVEphaser to the outer scope of a use statement by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Is a nongreedy pattern part of Perl 6’s longest token matching? by brian d foy.
- Colons in variables by JJ Merelo.
- Setting TCP flags with
- Support udp protocol from
- Type coercion by Ozzy.
Meanwhile on PerlMonks
- Why should any one use/learn Perl 6? by skooma.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Mixin syntax:
butby Joseph Brenner.
- StackOverflow vs the world (and perl6-users) by Joseph Brenner.
- Checker bug to fix by ToddAndMargo.
- Need second pair of eyes by ToddAndMargo.
- Another checker bug to fix by ToddAndMargo.
- How do I remove leading zeros? by ToddAndMargo.
EVAL? by ToddAndMargo.
-cerror to fix by Todd Chester.
- Need help with
zeferror by ToddAndMargo.
RFE: eval documentation by ToddAndMargo.
- Malformed UTF-8? by ToddAndMargo.
Perl 6 in comments
- A more elegant way to filter a nested hash by raiph.
- I don’t think anyone uses Perl 6 by IshKebab.
- Also core in Perl 6 by Anonymous Monk.
Perl 6 Modules
- OrderedHash by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Build, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Solution, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Assembly::Patch, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Artifact, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Nuget by Alexey Melezhik.
- FINALIZER by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- IP::Random by Joelle Maslak.
- US-ASCII by Ronald Schmidt.
- P5fileno by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Inline::Perl5 by Stefan Seifert.
- DBIx::NamedQueries by Mario Zieschang.
A little shorter than usual maybe. Or maybe not. Anyways, next week’s Perl 6 Weekly may either be a day early or a day late, as yours truly will be en route for most of next Monday. Be it early or be it late, see you the next time for more Perl 6 news!