Moritz Lenz is testing the waters to see if there is room for a crowd-sourced Perl 6 Coding Contest, and he’s inviting comments / suggestions / participations. This all models after Carl Mäsak‘s initial Perl 6 Coding Contest from 2010 (Twitter comments).
Perl 6 Deep Dive Free Download
Only 13 hours to go to get your free download of “Perl 6 Deep Dive” by Andrew Shitov. It’s filled with practical examples, exploring all aspects of Perl 6 with different programming paradigms (object oriented, functional, and reactive). On Twitter it had some weird previews: 1, 2.
Alexey Melezhik introduces Sparky, a powerful pocket size task runner server. A more flexible and more maintainable alternative to using
crontab, written in Perl 6!
- Bart Wiegmans fixed MoarVM’s
jit-bisect.plto use the new spesh log.
- Zoffix Znet made the stringification of really big ints (larger than 2⁶⁰) 1.58x as fast.
- Jonathan Worthington fixed a problem in deserialization introduced in the past month, which was breaking a lot of modules in the ecosystem.
- Timo Paulssen fixed the heap snapshot profiler.
- Ben Davies implemented asynchronous socket introspection.
- Paweł Murias fixed a lot of issues on the new
JVMbackend as well.
- Tom Browder reported of his experiences in
NQPland by documenting traps a Perl 6 programmer could fall into when programming in
- Daniel Green speeded up several operators (such as
%%) for native variables.
- Fernando Correa de Oliveira made sure that
.properly caches on
Seqs. And he made sure that
Signatures also check the
- Nick Logan deprecated the undocumented
- And many other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
- Storing intermediate data in a file by Eugene Barsky.
- Forcing installation order using
zefby JJ Merelo.
- What are
%_used for? by Alihusejn.
- Are typed signatures for stubbed methods not enforced in roles? by ryn1x.
- Append on regex match? by wean_irdeh.
is exportand binding by Eugene Barsky.
- What is difference between sub, method and submethod? by Alihusejn.
- How to share a variable between two routers module in
cro? by STH.
Croas a Service? by Alex Schroeder.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Favorite part by Joelle Maslak.
- Perl 6 is the answer by Joaquín Ferrero.
- Distribute evenly by Perl6 IDE.
- Square Sum by Perl6 IDE.
- Parsing grammars asynchronously by Danny McClanahan.
- Why not Perl 6? by Parthiban Nagarajan.
- More fun by Joaquín Ferrero.
- 18 years late by Xah Lee.
- Love Hiker by Alberto Fernandez.
- Breaking Bad by Stéphane Payrard.
- Best barman by Perl6 IDE.
- Rethinking ORM tests by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Quicky doesn’t work? by Alberto Fernadez.
- Not true for Perl 6 by Joaquín Ferrero.
- The fate of Perl 6? by Разработчик backend’а.
- Nobody needed Perl 6 by musuk.
- No radical revision by お惣菜.
- Disturbing by Simon George.
- Product by Perl6 IDE.
- Include by Perl6 IDE.
- Talk at WEA2018 by JJ Merelo.
- Matrix Addition by Perl6 IDE.
- Blast from the past by brian d foy.
- All Permuted by Perl6 IDE.
- Not building a jar by джейпегозависимый.
- How many times a query should happen by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Hard without a rename by Claudio Ramirez.
- The best description by İsmail Arılık.
- Quite easy by джейпегозависимый.
- win32bit? by via900.
- You can use such things by N.
- Walmart ready by Zoffix Znet.
- Slides of WEA2018 presentation by JJ Merelo.
- ASCII Camelia by ryn1x.
- Perl 6? by İsmail Arılık.
- Raising Perl by 齊藤 (tails).
- Rarely purely gratuitous by Stéphane Payrard.
- Learning Perl 6 not on Safari? by mikejw.
- choose by Perl6 IDE.
Meanwhile on FaceBook
- Perl in bookstore by Andrew Shitov.
- A recipe by Andrew Shitov.
text/perl6not far-fetched? by Jeff Goff.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Pod Types that are *NOT*
Pod::Blockby Richard Hainsworth.
- Default directory for files by Richard Hainsworth.
- Error in p6doc build by Parrot Raiser.
zefinstalls not working by Joseph Brenner.
augmentagain by Joseph Brenner.
- Issues with
- I need unprintable regex help by ToddAndMargo.
- Testing Was: Appropriate last words by Richard Hainsworth.
- Re: Appropriate last words by Richard Hainsworth.
Perl 6 in comments
- Only one way? by Ralph Mellor.
- Why the Haskell implementation failed by mncharity.
- Something like Perl 6 by kamaal.
- An open bet by paultopia.
- A bad solution? by Ralph Mellor.
- Disappointing signal by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Only named tokens by Ralph Mellor.
- Began that 15 years ago by Ralph Mellor.
- Just for Perl 6 by platinium.
Perl 6 Modules
- Sparrowdo::Cordova::OSx::Build, Sparrowdo::VSTS::YAML::Cordova, Sparrowdo by Alexey Melezhik.
- JSON::Path by Jonathan Worthington.
- App::Tasks by Joelle Maslak.
- AttrX::Mooish by Vadim Belman.
- App::Perl6LangServer by Ahmad M. Zawawi.
- Hash::Restricted, Tuple by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Oddmuse by Alex Schroeder.
While preparations for the 2018.10 Rakudo compiler release are in full swing (which should also be the basis for the 2018.10 Rakudo Star distribution), this week was mostly about cleanups and fixing. And of course some nice new modules and some nice updates. Please check in again next week for more Perl 6 news! Take care!