Rakudo Star Release 2019.03
Naoum Hankache has announced the release of Rakudo Star 2019.03, the first Rakudo Star release to feature support for Perl 6.d. Thanks to Naoum Hankache and his team in getting this brave new release out of the door. And kudos to Steve Mynott for having done a Rakudo Star release so many times before!
Perl Weekly Challenge Fallout
- Long story about short answers to Perl Weekly Challenge no. 1 by Jo Christian Oterhals (Reddit comments).
- Perl Weekly Challenge Further thoughts by Simon Proctor (Reddit comments).
A second challenge has been published already! More Perl 6 solutions will be very welcome!
Tony O’Dell introduces his work on creating
zef plugins with an example of implementing a
config parameter for
zef for configuration management. This looks like some good ideas of
git plugins have been assimilated!
I like Rakudo 100x
An interesting discussion about an addition to the group of CamelCase, snake_case and kebab-case: the space case, which looks like allowing space characters as part of identifiers. Shudder.
Perl 6 gather, I take
Arne Sommer has written a blog about
take, in which he shows several approaches to scrolling lines of text on a screen with a given delay. All part of preparations for his class at PerlCon 2019 (Reddit comments). .
No more Perl 6 Weekly
- Ticket status of past week and the month of March.
- Nick Logan JITted some more opcodes.
- Timo Paulssen continued his work on the profiler.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with named command line parameters and using a
@sigil in a
- Tom Browder fixed a problem with named parameters in
- Patrick Böker fixed several build issues on various operating systems.
- Christian Bartolomäus continued his work on unbitrotting the
- And some other smaller tweaks and fixes.
Questions about Perl 6
- When I run a program a lib directory appears in the current working directory – how do I prevent this? by user2145475.
- Huge memory usage with circular pipeline by drclaw.
Blob.decodewith replacement does not seem to work by JJ Merelo.
- Module dependencies: is it possible to set a mininum version? by sid_com.
- Is there a way to get the version from
META6.jsonin module code? by Nick Logan.
- Strict type checking in binding to routine arguments by JJ Merelo.
- How to improve source code install performance? by Alexey Melezhik.
- How to avoid importing default symbols when using a module? by Håkon Hægland.
- How do I decompress a Git object properly? by uzlxxxx.
- Filter out lines with unmatched grammar? by LiberatedAlpaca.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- MoarVM panic when using PKafka by Konrad Bucheli.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Evil FizzBuzz by Πτολέμαρχος.
- Happy with my decision by Mohammad S Anwar.
- A Poetic Perl 6 solution by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Scratching their itches by JJ Merelo.
- Excellent choice by JJ Merelo.
- Rewriting as I learned by Khaled 🐫, 🐧& 🦋.
- Compile to JSX by chee.
- Ranking the champions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Now I can! by Paul Cochrane.
- Proud about a core developer by OpusVL.
- Perl alive in Perl 6, so what? by _ko1.
- What is it like? by きしもと.
- Different languages by Ryusei.
- Getting into Perl 6 by JJ Merelo.
- Daily Perl 6 Docker containers by Patrick Spek.
- New evolution by JJ Merelo.
- Bone hurtin’ juice by aあ~nにjゃa 🐱 🍳 🦇 👽.
- Powerful. Seductive. by openloop.
- A special case by pacman (///).
- Brian Duggan will cover the basics by DC-Balt PerlWorkshop.
- Lonestar by Shell OSS.
- Check out the GSOC projects by JJ Merelo.
- Audio from Chemnitzer Linux Tage by Herbert Breunung.
- Fewer Perl 6 solutions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Not something the tool can do by Timo Paulssen.
- Doing array operations like MatLab/Octave by Tris-tan.
- Glimpse of Learning Perl 6 by 柴犬圖靈機.ino.
- When I’m awake by Simon Proctor.
- Amazing by Onkunde #26.
- Rather long explanations by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- A Cool type by はりー.
- You need parantheses by Jonathan Cast.
- What Parrot failed to be by Olivier Mengué.
- Inspired by Perl 6 by Marco Aurélio → One must imagine Sisyphus happy….
- Stubborn by Caroline Parins-Fukuchi.
- Now including leading ones by JJ Merelo.
- Solutions in Perl 6 first by Joelle Maslak.
- Basics for IPv6 support now by Joelle Maslak.
- New basic type by Joelle Maslak.
- I want to contribute to GSOC by Jasveen Singh S..
- Want atomics? by Arne Mertz 🌍.
- A beautiful implementation by Joelle Maslak.
- Rakudo Star 2018.03 by Opennet.ru News.
- Keep them coming by .
- A toddler’s challenge by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Looking for answer with grammar by Mohammad S Anwar.
- The only girl by Joelle Maslak.
- Good to see veterans by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Learned so much by Mohammad S Anwar.
Perl 6 in comments
- Usually Perl 6 by kbenson.
- Guido’s rudeness by Ralph Mellor.
- → Parrot/NQP/whatever by yellowapple.
- Not the same mistake by wbl.
- Not sure if it makes sense by Ralph Mellor.
- Too dissimilar by primo-ppcg.
Perl 6 Modules
- Grammar::PrettyErrors by Brian Duggan.
- Term::Choose, Term::Choose::Util, Term::TablePrint by Matthäus Kiem.
- Algorithm::Evolutionary::Simple by JJ Merelo.
- Cro::OpenAPI::RoutesFromDefinition by Jonathan Worthington.
- Cofra by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Auth::SCRAM by Marcel Timmerman.
- Archive::SimpleZip by Paul Marquess.
The original main article of this Perl 6 Weekly was an April Fool’s prank that involved both Perl 5 and Perl 6. It seems however, that yours truly would be the last person that should be allowed to do such a prank. It’s all serious business. Unjokingly, eviction from the community was suggested. Hopefully see you next week for less serious Perl 6 news. 🙂