What? A Perl 6 Weekly only one week after the previous one? Will wonders never cease? 🙂
Thoughts About Versioning
Jonathan Worthington has given more thought about Perl 6 versioning and compatibility. If you have any interest in using Perl 6 now, or in the future, be sure to read this blog post and think about what it could mean for you. And then ask Jonathan about anything that is not clear!
Mac OS X Installer for release 2016.01
Using Rakudo Perl 6 has now become even easier if you’re using a Mac. A Mac OS X Installer is now available for download, thanks to Steve Mynott.
Grant Proposal for making Perl 6 faster
On the Perl Foundation site you can now read about the next Perl 6 Core Development Fund Grant Proposal for Jonathan Worthington. This should allow him to work some 4 to 5 months on making Perl 6 faster. If you want to say anything about that proposal: now is the time!
Floating Point Going Disastrously Wrong
Curtis “Ovid” Poe mentioned a dissertation about Floating-Point Arithmetic which is “chock full o’ examples of floating point math going disastrously wrong“. The discussion mentions that in at least one case, Rakudo Perl 6 does get the right answer, after some tweaking involving FatRats.
- Stefan Seifert merged the branch that adds some more introspection methods to CompUnit Repositories, and an
- A Pull Request by Lloyd Fournier that fixed a problem with
require(and quite a lot of associated tickets) was also merged.
- A bump in NQP version brought some fixes by Jonathan Worthington and Tobias Leich in MoarVM to Rakudo Perl 6.
- The branch in which Rob Hoelz worked on allowing multi-line expressions in the REPL, was merged. See his blog post also.
- Salvador Ortiz made sure that
Failure.handledcan now be assigned to mark a Failure as already been handled, or reset it to mark it as not handled yet.
- Rob Hoelz made sure that Rakudo jars are stored in the right location.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen committed many small optimizations.
- Text, Grammar, Tree- the 3 by Yary
- Perl 6 Module Namespace by Enkidu
- From Regular Expressions To Grammars Pt 2 by Jeff Goff
- Apropos proto: Perl6.c multi thoughts by Yary
- The State Of Multi-Line Input by Rob Hoelz
Only 8 additions, but still some very interesting ones!
- Acme::Cow by Naoum Hankache
- Oyatul by Jonathan Stowe
- IO::Prompt by wbiker
- Test::Util::ServerPort by Jonathan Stowe
- Algorithm::BinaryIndexedTree by akaoka
- Net::OSC by Sam Gillespie
- Dice::Roller by James Neko
- Audio::Liquidsoap by Jonathan Stowe
That’s it again for this week. Catch you on the next one!