The speed canary script run daily by Merijn H. Brand has dropped below 2 seconds wallclock time for the first time in the history of the test being run (FaceBook comments). Since then, this has happened one more time (at moment of writing): there’s always a bit of noise involved with these timings. Check out the raw version of the speed log, if you want to keep up to date.
Rakudo 2018.09 Compiler Release
Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev and Samantha McVey have done it again: release MoarVM and the Rakudo Compiler. Claudio Ramirez took this as an immediate cue to update the directly installable Linux distributions. Kudos to all involved!
Thoughts on using Perl 6
Herbert Breunung continued his series of blog posts about Math::Matrix:
Documentation from the CLI
EarlTheGray enquired about Perl 6 on Reddit, specifically about the functional programming side of it. And that there didn’t appear to be much of an active Perl 6 community. Yours truly guesses we need to get out more 🙂
- Ticket status of last week.
- Samantha McVey implemented the
UTF16bestreaming encoding / decoding while following the behaviour of Perl 5 with regards to
- Tobias Boege fixed an issue with the recursion check of non-dwimmy hyperops.
- Zoffix Znet continued his tireless work in preparation for the
6.drelease, specifically focussing on consistent behaviour of
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with
QuantHash.ACCCEPTSwith regards to other
QuantHashes of the same type.
- And many other smaller fixes and improvements.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Crochet by doomyflo.
- A Dream full of Dreams by モメン.
- Calvinball by Emily St.
- I want to see Perl 6 by きよっち@ドラゴンズとゴールデンキングス.
- I’m not joking by David Beazley.
- A Language I have never used by だっく.
- Left a long time ago by Krakpotkin.
- Specifically, Perl ! by ryn1x.
- A good programming book by cody.
- Like ccdiff by Joelle Maslak.
- A big deal by JJ Merelo.
- Algorithm trumps Language by Joelle Maslak.
- Obama by Guacamoley.
- Small wikis by Patrick Spek.
- Perl& 6 Maintainers too! by Suman Khanal, MS.
- Migrating to Perl 6 by Open Source Way.
- My task management program by Joelle Maslak.
- BGP Module Status by Joelle Maslak.
- Learning Perl 6 Shipping by brian d foy.
- Learning Perl 6 Impressions by Stéphane Payrard.
- New Functions by Herbert Breunung.
Dockercontainer by JJ Merelo.
- Aleks-Daniel was in charge by JJ Merelo.
- Performance Analysis Tool by The Perl Shop.
- Maybe not spot on by Phil Wilmarth.
- Contender for language of the future by siliconbaytech.
- Simulation Model NH³ Production at Swiss Farms by Joaquín Ferrero.
RedORM API comments please! by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Stingray? by Stéphane Payrard.
Meanwhile on StackOverflow
- Adding Authorization or Headers with
Cro::WebSocket::Client? by Curt Tilmes.
- Is it possible for Perl 6 to work online? by Eugene Barsky.
Meanwhile on FaceBook
- Perl 6 Wine! by Wendy van Dijk.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Extending built-in classes by Joseph Brenner.
- Grammar doesn’t seem to match any token by Mark Carter.
Perl 6 in comments
- Autovivification by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Build impossible programs by Bart Wiegmans.
- Will a Perl 6 program run on Perl 5? by _sh.
- Perl Wine by Wendy van Dijk.
- A language reboot Perl 6 style by pjmlp.
- Superset of capabilities by Ralph Mellor.
- Dynamic lexically scoped by Ralph Mellor.
- News to me by Patrick Spek.
Perl 6 Modules
- CroX::HTTP::Auth::Munge by Curt Tilmes.
- Hash::Agnostic, Object::Delayed by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Sparrowdo::Cordova::OSx::Fortify by Alexey Melezhik.
- Libui by Travis Gibson.
- Wkhtmltox by Ahmad M. Zawawi.
- App::Tasks by Joelle Maslak.
- Cro::RPC::JSON by Vadim Belman.
- GraphQL, epoll, DB::Pg by Curt Tilmes.
- Scalar::Util, Array::Agnostic, Array::Sparse, Object::Trampoline by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Getopt::Advance by araraloren.
- Sparrowdo::Cordova::OSx::Build by Alexey Melezhik.
- Image::Libexif by Fernando Santagata.
- JSON::Schema by Jonathan Worthington.
- Sparky::Plugin::Notify::Telegram by Spigell.
- PDF::Font::Loader by David Warring.
- JSON::Fast by Timo Paulsen.
- IRC::Client::Plugin::UrlTitle by Patrick Spek.
A week with relatively little happening in the Perl 6 core, but all the more outside of it, judging by the number of tweets and the number of new / updated modules in the ecosystem. With the release now out of the door, a backlog of optimizations will see the spotlight in the week to come. Hopefully giving some really good news next week. See you then!