Kenichi Ishigaki (aka charsbar) has announced yet another CPAN Grep that allows you to search the contents of distributions on CPAN. And it also works on Perl 6 distributions! The search engine is powered by Groonga, an open source fulltext search engine and column store that yours truly had not heard of before.
London Perl Workshop
Both Mohammad S. Anwar and Dave Cross mentioned Perl 6 in their reports about the London Perl Workshop. Unfortunately, all of the Perl 6 related presentations where in a room that did not have video capture. But Simon Proctor released the slides of his presentation “24 Uses for Perl 6”, and JJ Merelo also did that for his Perl 6 in Academia.
Perl 6 mode in Ace
Failure is an option
Elizabeth Mattijsen has had part 8 of her Migrating To Perl 6 series published on opensource.com: Failure is an option in Perl 6 (/r/perl, /r/perl6 comments). It even made it to last weeks most read top 10!
Next Saturday, 3 December, will see another Squashathon. At the moment of this writing, the target of this Squashathon is not yet officially known. But yours truly would bet on another round of Documentation Bug Squashing!
- Ticket status of last week.
- A lot of expression JIT templates offered by Jeremy Studer were finally merged into the master branch.
- Samantha McVey fixed several issues in the MoarVM build process.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made infix meta operators about 1.5x as fast for core operators such as
~=, etc. She also fixed an issue with
.valueson object hashes.
- Nick Logan fixed an issue with
- Stefan Seifert made timing based tests optional to support clean building on slow build servers.
- Rob Hoelz improved the error message when using placeholder slurpies.
- And some other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
IO::Socket::Asynctruncates data by Zarul Zakuan.
- Getting a regex from a string by Richard Hainsworth.
- How to make a class final? by Takao.
- Assign regex match groups to variables by Zarul Zakuan.
- Perl 6 UDL for Notepad? by Zarul Zakuan.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- V by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- A great tour of Perl 6 by The Perl Shop.
- Support Perl 6 natively by सुमन खनाल.
- Have to pickup Perl 6 by Olaf Johansson.
- YAML? by Stéphane Payrard.
-1 % 109by shniperson.
- Added 10000 times by kamimura.
- When? by trapd00r.
- Contrast by perlancar.
- Another call by JJ Merelo.
- No joke by unemployed ponderer.
- Trolls by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- Whatever works by not selfish enough.
- Structuring regular expressions by りひにー.
- Other regular expression libraries by エヌユル.
- Illegally good by Danny McClanahan.
- How’s Perl 6 doing? by David JONES.
- Zoo by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- High and low by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- Made it to the book by brian d foy.
- Find out about the future by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- Ungodly hour by Simon Proctor.
- As strong as Go concurrently by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- Always one by Dave Cross.
- Didn’t want to be sick by JJ Merelo.
- A Jupyter Notebook by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- Camelia on sale by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- Parsing an emacs org-more file by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- Learn about grammars by JJ Merelo.
- Great Justice by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver.
- find-uniq by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- Great to hear by vytas.
- Is this working? by Michał Kilijanek.
- A family by David Strumfels.
- Perl 6 talks posted? by ryn1x.
- tp by Tweet Perl6 IDE.
- Seven line program by Solomon Foster.
- Learned from slides by Joelle Maslak.
- What’s new in the spec by The Perl Shop.
- Persistent ranting by Simon Proctor.
- Perl 6 soon by 高木さん (y_k)@金欠マン&おじさんになりました.
- Don’t have a module installed by Simon Proctor.
Meanwhile on FaceBook
- Save our Scott by Wendy van Dijk.
- Much older by Steffen Winkler.
- On StackOverflow by Wendy van Dijk.
- Solved! by Zarul Zakuan.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
Perl 6 in comments
- A separate thing by Ralph Mellor.
- Would be nice by akshayB.
- Configurable type system? by Ralph Mellor.
- Different languages by symkat.
- Pod is a slang by Ralph Mellor.
- Optimized for Fun by Ralph Mellor.
- About graphemes by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 Modules
- Getopt::Advance by araraloren.
- Uzu by Sam Morrison.
- App::Tasks by Joelle Maslak.
- OpenAPI::Model, IO::Socket::Async::SSL by Jonathan Worthington.
A slow week, but given Thanksgiving / Black Friday / Cyber Monday / London Perl Workshop perhaps understandable. It looks like next week yours truly have more Perl 6 news. So see you next week!