Damian Conway admits that he’s been quietly playing along with the Perl Weekly Challenge in a blog post titled Why I Love Perl 6. In it, he shows the true power of TIMTOWTDI. It sparked quite a few discussions: /r/perl6, /r/programming, Perl 6 Facebook group, Facebook and Lobsters.
Summer warming up
The Google Summer of Code project for Perl 6 has started. Please welcome Zhongnian Tao, Madeleine Goebel, Antonio Gámiz Delgado and Joel Schüller, who will be improving several aspects of Perl 6 over the summer! Please support them if they have questions (although such a request is really superfluous 🙂 ).
Controlling the Profiler
Timo Paulssen elaborates in A Close Look At Controlling The MoarVM Profiler about a small DSL called
confprog that can be used to control what, when or where code profiling should take place in a running Perl 6 program (Reddit comments). It also contains a nice plug for Nadim Khemir‘s Data::Dump::Tree and some cat pictures.
Auto-clickable in the browser
Timo Paulssen also created a script to be used with GreaseMonkey (and the like) that will automatically make filenames with line numbers clickable, e.g. when browsing error reports on Github. See also screen shots: the blue parts are the auto-generated links.
Sparrow6 progress report
Alexey Melezhik reports on his progress moving the Sparrow ecosystem to Perl 6. It also introduces
S6, a Sparrow6 command-line interface. A must read if you’re interested in Sparrow, or automation frameworks in general.
Result 0.2.0 breaking changes
Perl Weekly Challenge
Blog posts in Perl 6 for the Perl Weekly Challenge #9:
- Solving the Sparkpost Challenge by Joelle Maslak.
- Squares and Rankings by Laurent Rosenfeld Reddit comments).
- A unique square and rank by Francis Whittle.
- Square Numbers and Functional Programming in Perl by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Squared Ranking with Perl 6 by Arne Sommer.
Challenge #10 is up for your perusal!
- Ticket status of the past week.
- Madeleine Goebel fixed a problem with shutting down a libuv event loop. Her first MoarVM commit of many to come!
- Samantha McVey added support for malloc_trim (to reduce MoarVM memory usage) on OS’s that support it.
- Vadim Belman continued his work on revamping the configuration process, Oleksii Varianyk and Kaz Wesley helped him with that.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen added a
:checknamed parameter to
EVAL, to only have the code compile, but not be executed. And she fixed an issue with initializing native arrays from arrays with deleted elements.
- Leon Timmermans fixed an issue that affected users that implement a RUN-MAIN.
- Tadeusz Sośnierz fixed a bug in
- And some other improvements and fixes.
Questions about Perl 6
Crossed the 1100 Perl 6 questions mark on StackOverflow!
reactblock order dependent? by drclaw.
- What happens when different thread schedulers are used in the same
reactblock? by Håkon Hægland.
- Array of objects by hythm.
- Why does open with
:appendstill overwrite the file? by Jessica Nowak.
- How can I better handle config files? by Ben Davies.
- Perl 6 on JVM, how? by sshaw_.
- Serial communication with Arduino by windows11llll.
Meanwhile on Facebook
- Ruby RSpec? by Jeff Goff.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Impressed by
Croby Joelle Maslak.
- Any languages for M? by JJ Merelo.
- What happened? by メカ酋長.
- No categories by JJ Merelo.
- #12000 in docs! by JJ Merelo.
- Go not flipping on Windows by Asíncrono.
- Until they perl-6’d it by cms, this hard gemlike flame.
- Clearer dereferencing by ひとり上手.
- Continuing along by Luc N. Vu.
- Interestingly Junction by Fadis.
- Review by experts by JJ Merelo.
- Time of grace by R.F.D. ♨温泉ねずみ.
- See you next year by Erez.
- To commitconf by JJ Merelo.
- Missing support by clifford the big red pawg.
- Meanwhile in another language by Keith Devens.
- Ruby RSpec in Perl 6 by Jeff Goff.
- Despair by こたつがめ.
- Glad I left by Joe Drago.
- Nice by Thomas Klausner.
- Something unicode-y by Zoffix Znet.
- Hard to go back by Timo Paulssen.
- Much to learn by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Always grateful by Pierre Chapuis.
- Rationals built-in by Alex Balhatchet.
- Cool languages by pablomartinez.
- Designed for a 100 years by Opensouthcode.
reactworks by Jonathan Worthington.
- Nice to be reminded by David E. Wheeler.
- Already coding for it by James Cuff.
- Need a new farsighted by Ted Davis.
- Probably can’t do this by Curtis ‘Ovid’ Poe.
- New Chocolatey package by brian d foy.
- In the same talk? by Manuel Cillero.
- Examples in 10 + 1 languages by JJ Merelo.
- Very Perlish explanation by The Perl Shop.
- New member submitted in Perl 6 by Mohammad S Anwar.
Perl 6 in comments
- A fusion reactor instead by Brent Laabs.
- About morphability of a language by Ralph Mellor.
- Very fond? by Ralph Mellor.
- Something Academia is missing? by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 Modules
- Seq::Bounded by Doug Schrag.
- Log::Timeline by Jonathan Worthington.
- Operator::dB by Owen Allsop.
- Sys::IP by Denis Kanchev.
- Term::Form by Matthäus Kiem.
- FileSystem::Parent, FindBin::libs, FindBin by Steven Lembark.
- GTK::V3 by Marcel Timmerman.
- Getopt::Long by Leon Timmermans.
Damian Conway showing his face again in Perl 6 land, after having seemingly retired from Perl down under, made my day. Meanwhile, yours truly has been working on an API for profiling Perl 6 code. More on that next week. See you then!