Damian Conway had an itch, and he scratched it in “Itch.scratch()“. An extensive treatise on how to extend the Perl 6 Programming Language, giving the
for loop an
else block to be executed only if no iterations were done in the
for loop. In less than 25 lines! (Reddit comments).
Yanzhan Yang has posted a number of Perl 6 introductory videos on YouTube, maybe the first of many to come:
Steve Roe explains his thoughts on seamlessly supporting atomic units in the Physics::Measure Perl 6 module.
Perl 6 at LPW
These presentations about Perl 6 are currently planned to be given at the next London Perl Workshop:
- Perl 6, losing your Perl 5 accent. by Lance Wicks.
- Swings & Roundabouts: Building a Perl 6 Playground by James Raspass.
It’s not too late to submit your presentation!
Perl Foundation News
The Perl Foundation is nominating Pete Krawczyk as Treasurer. Many thanks to Dan Wright for having filled this position for so many years.
And there is a grant proposal for curating the Perl 6 documentation, a continuation of earlier work by JJ Merelo.
Please leave your comments, if you have any of course!
What’s in a name?
Perl Weekly Challenge #26
Blog posts with Perl 6 solutions for Challenge #26:
- String Angling with Perl 6 by Arne Sommer.
- Perl Weekly Challenge 26: Common Letters and Mean Angles by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Timo Paulssen fixed an issue with the int type cache on MoarVM.
- Stefan Seifert fixed several issues around thread destruction.
- Ben Davies fixed an issue on the
- Patrick Böker implemented the
- And some smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Perl 6
- How do you access private methods or attributes from outside the type they belong to? by Ben Davies.
- How to add a class attribute dynamically? by Greg Donald.
- Can Markdown image links be generated using POD6? by Ben Davies.
throwin custom exception by Shniperson.
- A scalar with memory, or how to correctly
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Amusing microbenchmarks and interesting insights by Thaddee Tyl.
- Long list of things by Darren Duncan.
- Click out of the box by Tyler Limkemann.
- Can still talk by Stéphane Payrard.
- NativeCall Chaos by 八雲アナグラ.
- Hard to grasp by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Explore new ideas by Mohammad S Anwar.
- for else by brian d foy.
- Amazing by Ludo Tolhurst-Cleaver 🐝 🔶 🇪🇺.
- FizzBuzz by Simon Proctor.
- Quite deep by Simon Proctor.
- Risky Perl 6 by Alex Nedelcu.
- Just Perl by Ukiah Danger Smith.
- Got missed? by Mark Eichin.
- The better language by #!.
- Screaming? by Simon Proctor.
- Very soon… by JJ Merelo.
- Die in a fire by Biappi.
- Meeting Github Actions by Shoichi Kaji.
- No rounding error by kamimura.
- Not a float by fujita nozomu.
- Nonsense by Solomon Foster.
- Still going on by Hiroshi Yamato.
- Parameter info on
used modules in Comma by Jonathan Worthington.
grammarrules by The Perl Shop.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Dynamic export/import of symbols into global namespace by Paul Procacci.
Perl 6 in comments
- The way of Perl 6 by rectangletangle.
- Unusually complete by Ralph Mellor.
- Can run Perl 5 by spider-mario.
Perl 6 Modules
New modules (some of them were missed previously because of not having been uploaded to CPAN):
- JSONHound by Oetiker + Partners.
- Documentable by Antonio Gámiz Delgado and many others.
- LZW::Revolunet by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Algorithm::SpiralMatrix by Michal Jurosz.
- Prometheus::Client by Sterling Hanenkamp.
A quiet week yet again, while work has started on finalizing the next Rakudo compiler release. Hope to be able to report on that next week. Until then, program safely and have fun!