- Larry has approved renaming Perl 6 to Raku by Curtus “Ovid” Poe (/r/perl, /r/perl6, /r/programming, PerlMonks comments).
- Larry Wall has approved renaming Perl 6 to Raku on Hacker News.
- We, Wall, we, Wall, Raku: Perl creator blesses new name for version 6 of text-wrangling lingo on The Register.
- Relieved to see Perl 6 being renamed by Ruben Schade.
- Larry Wall Approves Re-Naming Perl 6 To Raku on Slashdot.
- Perl 6 soll umbenannt werden (German) on golem.de.
- Larry Wall approuve le changement de nom de Perl 6 à Raku (French) on technologik.fr.
- Ларри Уолл одобрил переименование Perl 6 в Raku (Russian) on opennet.ru.
- Perl 6 soll umbenannt werden (German) on Linux Magazin.
- El creador de Perl Larry Wall aprueba que Perl 6 pase a llamarse Raku (Spanish) on Menéame.
- Perl 6、正式に「Raku」へ名称変更か (Japanese) on srad.jp.
- Larry Wall 批准将 Perl 6 重命名为 Raku (Chinese) on Solidot.
- Larry Wall 已批准将 Perl 6 重命名为 Raku (Chinese) on cnbeta.com.
- Perl 6 bude přejmenován na Raku (Czech) on abclinuxu.cz.
- Perl 6 is niet meer (Dutch) on AGConnect.
- Perl 6 wird wohl bald Raku heißen (German) on Heise Online.
- Már nem Perl-nek fogják hívni a Perl 6 következő kiadását (Hungarian) on prog.hu.
- Perl 6 Is Dead, Long Live Raku — Perl 5’s “Sister Language” Gets a Clean Break, Shiny New Name on hackster.io.
- Perl 6 renamed to Raku on LWN.net.
- Perl 6 переименован в Raku (Russian) on dev.by.
Also see quite some reactions on Twitter below.
London Perl Workshop
Next weekend, on Saturday 19 October, it’s time for the London Perl Workshop again. The following presentations with Perl 6 content appear to have been planned:
- Create and publish your first Perl 6 module distribution by Mohammad S Anwar.
- The Perl Weekly Challenge Review by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Red – An ORM for Perl 6 by Fernando Corrêa de Oliveira.
- Building a Perl 6 Module with
App::MI6 by Simon Proctor.
- Running Arbitrary Code Safely: Building a Perl 6 Playground by James Raspass.
- Perl 6, losing your Perl 5 accent by Lance Wicks.
An excellent opportunity to learn more about Perl 6 / Raku. And possibly the last time for a pre-Brexit visit to the UK!
Even More Video Tutorials
Yanzhan Yang, a serial tech video uploader, yet again has posted more Perl 6 introductory videos on YouTube:
- Parameter Constraints.
- Multi Subroutine.
- String Functions.
- Regular Expression.
- Solve Exercism Problems in Perl 6 – Problem No 1.
- File IO.
- Solve Exercism Problems in Perl 6 – Problem No 2.
Getting more amazing every week!
It was a stressful week for Andrew Shitov: at first he was worried about the future of his Perl 6 compiler book. Then, after Larry Wall showed his approval of the renaming, he suggested having a RakuCon in May 2020 on Cyprus at the venue previously intended for the 2020 Perl Conference. Quickly followed by a blog post explaining how he sees the future of Raku, including building a new, faster Raku compiler (/r/perl6 comments). Followed by the publication of the first Raku book: Using Raku and making that available for free download (/r/perl6 comments). And to top it off, produced a little tutorial about the difference between
is rw and
is raw. Yours truly can only hope that future weeks will be less stressful.
Perl Weekly Challenge #29
Blog posts with Perl 6 solutions for Challenge #29:
- Perl Weekly Challenge 29: Brace Expansion and Calling C Code by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Bracen C With Perl 6 by Arne Sommer.
Challenge #30 is up for your perusal.
Questions about Perl 6
reducefunction and reduction metaoperator give different results by Romario.
Grammarregexes match independently but not together by Holli.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Aimed at…. by The Perl Shop.
- Another tool for quick tasks by Aniello Di Meglio.
- Tempted to suggest by firebreathingduck.
- Frightened by a CoC by firebreathingduck.
- Review copies for you by JJ Merelo.
- Buddhism and Shinto mixed by e^iπ+1.
- Recursive Fibonacci by e^iπ+1.
- Teaching in Japan by 八雲アナグラ.
- VTuber? by 八雲アナグラ.
- or flex or bison? by Deji Adegbite.
- An Emacs first by Trey Harris, But Spooky Somehow.
- Not messed with it yet by Kung Foo.
- Great model by 陳建勳.
- Documenting for Hacktoberfest by JJ Merelo.
- No longer main by JJ Merelo.
- Since earlier by 🐸.
- Please advent! by JJ Merelo.
- Not Perl by JJ Merelo.
- Being hijacked by Andrew Shitov.
- Grab it! by JJ Merelo.
- Idiomatic Potential by Lance Wicks.
- More steps by Dean Hamstead.
- Almost as bad by Jereme Sea.
- No rewriting by browneyedgirl65.
- If nothing else by 八雲アナグラ.
- Thank you by 八雲アナグラ.
- Different? by EIJU@頑張りたくない.
- P6CRE? by wint as any.
- One more fun by Akinori MUSHA.
- No idea what to do with it by Andrew Shitov.
- Impressive by 山プルギス.
- Hoew great? by 胸焼けと吐き気.
- Cursed by Jeyko Calcedo.
- Banned by Stéphane Payrard.
- CJK Word boundary matching by Behnam Esfahbod 🦊.
- Not at the same time by Brian Wisti.
- Nice series by isomorphismes.
- Wonderful development by Darren Duncan.
- Or use… by Jeff Goff.
- Let us push forward by Curtis “Ovid” Poe.
- Solve all those problems by Augie De Blieck Jr..
- Weirdly sad by Jearl’s Monster.
- Forever a mystery by nicebite 🧛♂️.
- A Simple Answer by Jason McIntosh.
- Delighted by Paul Fenwick.
- Unusual flow by Dave Anderson.
- Insane it took so long by Keith Devens.
- Total sense by Tim Nicholas.
- Say hello! by Marc Chantreux.
- Ruby? by Màthair a buntàta.
- Also on board by Ryou Ezoe(江添 亮).
- Full of deadlines by Kunihiko Imai 🍶.
- Jonathan’s thoughts? by Matt Ghouldman 👻.
- Regain glory by Akd.
- Welcome new overlords by mempko.
- Pretty brave doc by Anirudh Aithal.
- Accurate typist by Phlip.
- Soon to be known by The Register.
- Text wrangling lingo by Java Wales.
- The 2002 Webapp experience by Clint ‘SpamapS’ Byrum.
- Old books are current by Mike Fowler.
- New pet project 🙂 by Andrew Ruthven.
- Officially dead by Peter Evans.
- Touching by Koo(くー) 🎧.
- Wonderful news by Tom Radcliffe.
- Hoping for… by Christopher D. Long.
- No upgrade path by Christopher D. Long.
- Should’ve from the start by ☠️ Braindead MacAbre ☠️.
- Perhaps changed by Christopher D. Long.
- Doesn’t have to worry by ruanyf.
- Why rarely heard? by 宇宙漂流井底之蛙 🐸.
- Didn’t make sense by Derek Cline.
- It’s Japanese! by 路人·丁—🆃🅷 🅾🅼 🅰🆂.
- Coming from Python by Eric Cole.
- Logo does not change by pingoo.
- Resolved at last by Prasanth K.
- Hopefully in time by Curtis “Ovid” Poe.
- BS by Erez 🤓.
- Also a programming language by shniperson.
- Finally endorsed by सुमन खनाल 🇳🇵.
- Still a soft spot by Felix Rau.
- Glad it worked out by Unix McBeard.
- So long and welcome by David Pardo.
- Without baggage by Erik Tank.
- Develop a new version by Blabos de Blebe.
- Decades of branding by Mortalus2020.
- Comes out in favour by brian d foy.
- Whatever you call it by OpenCage Geocoder.
- A wise decision by Ben Milliron.
- Fine logo by Adolfo Fitoria.
- Fits well by Matt Gumbley MØCUV.
- Batteries included language by Joseph Hurtado.
- To save itself by Caffeinated Otter.
- Grammars are awesome by Joelle Maslak.
- A good day for books by Brian Wisti.
- Very Admissable by JJ Merelo.
- How to pronounce by Takahiro Iwamoto.
- Simply Perl by Ching-Wan Yip.
- Sounds Alien by Yuri Myasoedov.
- Now I might try it by Richard Bown.
- Bob by 🦘.
- Relieved by Rubenerd Blog.
- Reincarnated by Jeff Culverhouse.
- With HTTP2 out of the box by Simon Proctor.
- Seems to remain by 高梨陣平.
- More solutions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Raku Hackathon here! by 八雲アナグラ.
- Will be confirmed by Perlゼミ@Perl好きな方、相互フォローでつながりましょう!.
- Not used as much by Kuninobu SaSaki.
- Separate lineage? by IIOKA Shinji.
- Still alive by りこ 🍥.
- Staged transition by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Disease? by TuringIncomplete.
- Almost done by Antonio.
- Changes in stages by 八雲アナグラ.
- Temporary version of the new documentation by JJ Merelo.
- Your experience? by Christian Hujer ⌨ 🧙♂️ ☮ ♻️ 🏴☠️ 🇪🇺 🇩🇪 🇮🇳 🏳️🌈.
- Not very positive by Genki Sugawara.
- An Official Statement by perlbuzz.
- Perfect time to arrive by Simon Proctor.
- Not mud by jkeks.
- Reality now by Andrew Shitov.
- Weird by ai.
- Killed by ⚫John Steed.
- Feel like writing by 内田俊明.
- Apparently by 🐼Pandy Knight 🐼.
- Headlines by Jupiter Broadcasting.
- Today by Hugo.
- Only Russians by Andrew Shitov.
- Shiny new name by Hackster News.
- Don’t feel the need by ⓀⒾⒺⓉⒶ.
- From Japanese? by (Ǝ)ɐsıɥıɥso⅄ ouɐɓnS.
- Easy fired? by とっぷら@AWS履修中.
- More and more interesting by Radek Gruchalski.
- Only large bookstores by nezuq.
- Difficult names by 普通のプログラマ.
- Remember by kazken3.
- Looks like a butterfly by 堀川登喜矢 🐣 🐳.
- Always been Perl by Perlゼミ@Perl好きな方、相互フォローでつながりましょう!.
- Let’s solve by Perlゼミ@Perl好きな方、相互フォローでつながりましょう!.
- Don’t follow it by さらす.
- Don’t like it by kinneko.
- Easy to learn by e^iπ+1.
- Rename to Ada? by Jacob Williams.
- Alive by teraminato 💬んまいから食べ バブー.
- Out in 2015? by Tomoaki Masuda.
- Huh? by Sharath K.
- Finally over by RakuistIO.
- Has your back by Timo Paulssen.
- Four Anaconda by Justin Niessner.
- Raku is easy by Yosuke FURUKAWA.
- No jubilation by Krishna N.
- Not compatible by キュラ太郎@レベル44.
- Incompatible by Ganache.
- Starting the transition by JJ Merelo.
- Can’t help it by なかむらしろまる.
- No longer the next edition by Prog.Hu.
- Powered by by chee![.
- No longer say
#perl5by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Like better by TANI_Röhei@赭埴菴.
- Domain names harder by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Good to change by かるぱねるら.
- Up to 5.100 by 矢澤めうめう！.
- Moth by kakiraちゃん.
- Why misleading? by 雅藤大佐.
- Hard to remember by yad.
- Happy to see Larry by kobe9lives.
- Taking different paths by せーでん.
- It rocks! by Zoe.
asyncby Timo Paulssen.
- For students on Safari by JJ Merelo.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Thanks to the quickly unrepairable actions of a certain individual outside of the Perl 6 community, the Perl 6 Facebook group has changed all of its URLs and/or is only accessible to people with Facebook logins. And since it is the intention of changing back to the original URLs (which will most likely take a month thanks to Facebook policies), it doesn’t seem to make sense to put deep links here now.
So, if you’re interested in happenings on Facebook, check out the Perl 6 Group, and navigate from there.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Match operator: error with
any()junction and user-defined
$_topicvariable by William Michels.
Perl 6 in comments
- If only faster by ethelward.
- Quick and dirty by 0rac1e.
- Failure to go Perl 6 by shevy-ruby.
- SSE by chucker23n.
- On the list by Elronnd.
- Great switch statement by ktpsns.
Perl 6 Modules
- Markit by Luis F. Uceta.
- Method ::Also by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Grammar::PrettyErrors by Brian Duggan.
- GetOpt::Long, Path::Finder , TAP, App:Prove6 by Leon Timmermans.
- LibXML by David Warring.
- ModelDB by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Net::BGP, TCP::LowLevel by Joelle Maslak.
- Algorithm::LibSVM by Itsuki Toyota.
The past year has been very stressful for yours truly. And the past week even more so. Some stress will remain in the near future, but it looks like stress levels will be allowed to go down in the further future, with “Perl” and “Raku” each going their own way.
This is the last Perl 6 Weekly that yours truly will write. Next week I will just announce the location of the new Rakudo Weekly blog here.
Why “Rakudo” and not “Raku”, you might ask? Well, originally the “Perl 6 Weekly” was about all implementations of Perl 6. But for the past 4 years, it has effectively been only about the “Rakudo” implementation. Now that “Perl 6” is being renamed to “Raku”, it seems like a good opportunity to not squat on the language name in a blog that is effectively dedicated to a single implementation of the Raku Programming Language.
So see you next week for directions to the new blog!