Because the Parrot project has not seen a release since mid-February, and there have been no commits since then, it was generally felt that the support for Parrot in
NQP codebase (as it was removed from the
Rakudo codebase about a year ago).
It should be noted that without Parrot, Rakudo Perl 6 would not exist today. It is one of the giants on whose shoulders Rakudo Perl 6 is standing. So let me again express gratitude to the multitude of developers who have worked on the Parrot project. Even though it didn’t turn out the way it was intended, it was definitely not for nothing!
Alpine Perl Workshop
The First Alpine Perl Workshop (a cooperation of the Austrian and Swiss Perl Mongers) will be held in Innsbruck, Austria on 2 and 3 September. There is still time to submit a Perl 6 talk! If you couldn’t make it to the YAPC::Europe this year, or you have some extra time to spend after coming back from the YAPC::Europe, Innsbruck and the Alpine Perl Workshop are definitely worth looking into!
Other Core Developments
- TimToady worked on improving the reporting on a number of errors and warnings, especially in the “
useless use” area.
- Stefan Seifert fixed an issue in the merging of global symbols when a module was
used that was also
used inside another module and there had been a
use libinbetween the
- Jonathan Worthington fixed a number of race conditions, one of which could cause a hang in a
supplyblock. This is a big step towards more stability of asynchronous programs.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made sure that
.minmaxcan be called on anything that can be seen as a
- Zoffix Znet fixed several issues related to
- And many other smaller bug fixes and speed improvements.
gfldex++ reports from the Documentation Dept:
- Small corrections and additions to the search index.
- FALLBACK, the little sister of MOP has been added.
- Subsignatures where added.
- FAQ got corrections and additions.
- Work has started to extract examples from .pod6-files automatically to have them tested by the compiler. This will help us keeping track of changes in v6.d and already resulted in corrections in Signatures.pod6.
- The examples in operator.pod6 now compile as well after applying a few fixes.
A nice harvest, with some blog posts that I missed in the past weeks.
- Some Questions About Perl 6 Modules by ShimmerFairy
- What’s Up Perl? by Navrup Johal
- IRC::Client: Perl 6 Multi-Server IRC (or Awesome Async Interfaces with Perl 6) by Zoffix Znet
- Perl 6 and the future of non-Perl regex by snoopy
- Line noise, a silly one liner and a golf request because it’s Thursday! by Aaron Sherman
- Hinrik’s Emacs perl6-mode is being extended by Tom Browder
- Walk On The Flats by gfldex
- Hacking on The Rakudo Perl 6 Compiler: Mix Your Fix by Zoffix Znet
A nice harvest as well!
- Desktop::Notify by Nando Santagata
- Test::Deeply::Relaxed by Peter Pentchev
- OAuth2::Client::Google by Brian Duggan
- Getopt::Std by Peter Pentchev
- Math::FourierTransform by Matt Oates
- Math::Arrow by Aaron Sherman
See you next week!