Damian Conway came out with another blog post about Perl 6 in the past week: Coding with an even fuller toolset, as a follow up on last week’s blog post about tooling. (/r/perl6 comments). It also started a thread on /r/perl. Some excellent reading material again. And there’s a lot more of that this week! But first some multimedia:
- Perl Out Loud by Emily Shea.
- The Perl Family Tree: Discover Your Heritage by Will Braswell.
- What I learned on my vacation – Hacking
FindBin::libsin Perl 6 by Steven Lembark.
- O(fun) in Perl 6 by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- Q & A with Larry Wall by Jim Brandt.
- The State of the Scallion Address by Will Braswell.
- Memories of YAPC::NA 19100 by Walt Mankowski.
- A new name for Perl by Ingy döt Net (/r/perl, /r/perl6, Facebook comments).
Next year’s American Perl Conference will be in Houston!
Madeleine Goebel tells us that she got the Hello World proof-of-concept running in her GSOC project to create a single executable of a Perl 6 app! Exciting times!
Daily Posts Again
Andrew Shitov has picked up on his streak of daily blog posts again. In the past days he’s published:
- 100. Bubble sort in Perl 6 (Reddit comments).
- 101. Quick sort in Perl 6 (Reddit comments).
- 102. Insertion sort in Perl 6 (Reddit comments).
Looking forward to many of these in the future!
Antonio Gamiz not only blogged once about his project in the past week, he blogged twice!
Summer slurpies, 3 for a $
Matthew ‘Matéu’ Stephen Stuckwisch also wrote an excellent blog post about Variadic functions in Perl 6, or in other words: how and when to use which slurpies (or not). Recommended reading!
Perl Weekly Challenge
Blog posts with Perl 6 solutions for the Perl Weekly Challenge #13:
- Perl Weekly Challenge # 13: Fridays and Mutually Recursive Subroutines by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- The Perl Weekly Challenge 13 by Simon Proctor (Reddit comments).
- Hofstadter, Friday and Perl 6 by Arne Sommer (Reddit comments).
- Perl Weekly Challenge #013 by Athanasius.
- Perl Weekly Challenge: Week 13 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
Challenge #14 is up for your perusal!
- Ticket status of the past week.
- Timo Paulssen continued his work on
confprog, the configurable profiler. He also fixed an issue with
DateTimeobjects with specific formatters.
- Ben Davies fixed a memory leak when reading bytes from a socket.
- Jan-Olof Hendig fixed a problem recently introduced on 32-bit systems.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with
List.reverseand with the use of
- Vadim Belman fixed a type checking issue with a role inheriting from a class. He also fixed a problem with additional containers in exported values.
- And some more improvements and fixes in anticipation of the 2019.06 release.
Questions about Perl 6
Finally at the 1111 mark in StackOverflow!
- Some code golf help requested by Aaron Sherman.
- Really binding an argument to a parameter? by ozzy.
- Is this a bug in list handling? by Aaron Sherman.
- Differences between
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Perl 6, The Movie by Casey Dahlin.
- Is it … by Alexey Makhov.
- Mind blown by Simon Proctor.
- BER before Perl 6 by xwolf.
- Whatever tool by Simon Proctor.
- Inspiring? by Hans Ginzel.
- Fantastic, but… by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- Modern IT Tech by Masataka Nakamura a.k.a La Ville Eternell.
- Production ready by firebreathingduck.
- Looking for something big by firebreathingduck.
- Not rails6 by くろねこ.
- When I hear Larry Wall by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa.
- First class signatures by Brad Gilbert.
- Futures by Dawn S. Wallis.
- Favourite feature? by かるぱねるら.
- Perl 6, the Book by Steve Mynott.
- Getting useful by Chris Nandor.
- Immutable data types by ryn1x.
- First article by Antonio Gamiz.
- A moving appeal by myrrhlin.
- Touching Perl 6 by ポムポムプリン【ひかるん】.
- Working out quickly by ryn1x.
- Promises way back by Rebecca Turner.
- Ruby’s Dad by Atsushi Kajiro.
- Three out of five by JJ Merelo.
- Facts about contributions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- In esolang by こたつがめ.
- Searching Bing by Khaled 🐫, 🐧& 🦋.
- Weaponized by /dpt/.txt.
- Share her bio by CS for All Teachers.
- The same in Perl 6 by Jonathan Stowe.
- Thank you for the videos by Joelle Maslak.
- Tears of joy! by CristoContrerasRubio.
- To learn all the languages by Congreso esLibre.
- Insistently Perl 6 by CristoContrerasRubio.
- Discovering Perl 6 by Congreso esLibre.
- The why of Camelia by Congreso esLibre.
- Rocket man by Antonio.
- Picking a winner by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Many wonders by Antonio.
- Got a book! by Antonio.
- Example of pattern matching by Congreso esLibre.
- Fanmade logo by Jeff Goff.
- Just valid Perl 6 by EntranceJew (follow @ejew_in).
- Running quietly by Etaoin Shrdlu.
- PCD by Jeff Goff.
- Fat arrow and point blocks mashup by Jonathan Stowe.
- Renaming some exceptions by Jonathan Stowe.
flunk! by Joelle Maslak.
- Released as
TCP::LowLevelby Joelle Maslak.
- Hearing right? by 印度神.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Downloading documentation behavior by Parrot Raiser.
Perl 6 in comments
- Not one of the options by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Gradual typing: check by yellowapple.
- On continuations by Ralph Mellor.
- Shy away from Perl by UnityNorway.
- Raised an eyebrow by ktpsns.
- Multi prompt continuations by Ralph Mellor.
- Implicitly nullable by Ralph Mellor.
Perl 6 Modules
- ProcStats by Steven Lembark.
- CI::Gen by Shlomi Fish.
- TCP::LowLevel by Joelle Maslak.
- Perl6::Documentable by Antonio Gamiz.
- App::MoarVM::ConfprogCompiler by Timo Paulssen.
- Term::TablePrint by Matthäus Kiem.
- RPi::Device::SMBus, Audio::Silan, Lumberjack by Jonathan Stowe.
- Inline::Perl5 by Stefan Seifert.
- KHPH by Mark Devine.
- Pod::Load by JJ Merelo.
While suffering from what will be this years first heatwave at yours trulies, it is good to see so many blog posts about Perl 6. While the final blockers for a 2019.06 Rakudo compiler release are being taken care of. See you again next week, hopefully a bit less hot!